"i'll pay, when i am thoroughly satisfied."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 31, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i gave a quote for some work. small makeover- trimming, edge beds, mulch, etc. it comes to $800. our policy is= 1/2 down, balance on completion. the guy says, " well, i'm not paying half up front. you can put it in writing, and i'll sign, agreeing to pay the amount in full, when the job is done, and i'm completely satisfied." what is your reaction?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We generally wouldn't ask for a deposit for such a small amount. But, a client cannot get on the landscaping (hard/soft) schedule until the required deposit is received.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

question sodking: what is YOUR reason, for asking for a deposit, on any job?

4. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If thats your policy then stick to it. Ive been screwed on $500.00 jobs. A John Henry is nothing to some people. I dont care if the job is 150.00 I still get $75.00 just to cover material and if they dont like it then let someone else take a gamble on them. Being satisfied to him could mean lots of things.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

It shows commitment on behalf of the client. It also guarentees our schedule is full of paying jobs and not ones that can be canceled.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Fore me .... I don't do ANY work fore a customer unless they are one of my yearly clients ... so I already have a working relationship .... we ask fore a deposit on jobs over $1500 ..... 1/3 up front ....1/3 at half ... n the rest when done

Course if it's just a one day job than 1/3 up front

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, fine. i have a different perception of a deposit. we don't do big jobs like some of u guys do. we do as high as 4-5 grand. and as low as $400. if the smaller stuff is for an exsisting client, no big deal. but alot of times, it's for a one timer. there are 3 reasons why i get a deposit for these. #1- i don't trust them. #2- i don't trust them #3- i don't trust them

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i do the same, if existing client no big deal, other wise, I DONT TRUST THEM>>>>>>>>>.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

i'd also like to add this: this client was not for me. as most of you know, i have a guy a few towns over whom i am providing consultation services. part of my service includes going with him on quotes. my advice, to my student, was -walk, fast, and build up to a gallop. but, he didn't think the guy's offer was unreasonable. he saw no problem with having the guy sign a contract, and doing the work on the terms- balance in full on completetion (why, o why, can't u guys just listen:cry: :cry: ) . he took the job, ON THE CLIENT'S TERMS. my student is, at this very moment, doing the job. i'm laying good odds, that he gets humped. i'll fill you in when the, wet behind the ears, non listening, student contacts me this evening to check in. i have a bad feeling, about this one.

10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I don't ask for a deposit unless there's materials involved then it's a 50% upfront, balance upon completion. The 1/3 rule is a construction contractor norm and good rule of thumb on large scale projects. Everyone is sharing the risk.