I'll renew the service agreement if you....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xpnd, Apr 18, 2003.

1. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

"I'll renew the service agreement for this year if every week when you come to service the lawn, you inspect it for fire ant colonies and mark them so the pest man can then come and treat them. Your cost is much too high for this service but the pest man doesn't do a good job and there are always fire ant mounds in the lawn."

I asked the soon to be former customer if I understood the situation correctly.

"Both I and the pest man offer fire ant control as a "for hire service". I'm too expensive so you decided to go with a cheaper service and discovered they don't do good work. Now you want me to help out the competition by marking fire ant colonies so they will look better then they really are."

At this point the customer stuttered for a moment and I continued by saying. "This is a problem between you and the service you hired and I'm not invovled in it. Absolutely not"

The customer stated she wouldn't renew service if that was the case and I replied, " That works for me."

Just when I thought I had heard everything.

Even if she calls me back, I'll let this tight butt find a new service this year.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

maybe you should start a new business:

Pest Marking Control "We mark them, for they don't have to."

Even if you would agree to mark them it could come back and bite you in the butt. Because what would happen if you mark them and there is still a problem with the fire ants. Well, now she could blame you on the situation and not the PEST control man.

I can't believe that some people have the nerve to do stuff like that.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Good riddance.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This one really does take the cake. Did you ever find out how much more you were bidding then the pest control people she went with? I am sure that the prices were similar but they were just a little cheaper. There is nothing like the customer going with the cheaper company and then wanting something for nothing from you.

5. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

You should mark every spec of dirt and bare spot on her lawn, Can you see the look on the pest guys face when he pulls up and there are a hundred flaged areas.
  6. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

Find the corner stakes and mark a big circle around the property lines. Then tell her all the mounds are marked just look and see. Hmmm did she have all the marbles at the top?

David :D
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Did you try to get her to pay you to do that? I would have said yes and increased the account to reflect it. Then explain to her, that's the difference between you and him. Identification is the most important part of pest control.
  8. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

My brain was in neutral. This week was the first round of fert apps. Because it hasn't got hot enough here in TX to fry an egg yet, I like to get all the spring apps done in one week. Feel lousy for one week instead of two. I started out with 1 ton of fert on Monday, on late Thursday when she called I had already spread 1200 lbs while my crew was mowing and I was dog butt tired. If it wasn't for that I probably would have thought of this and asked for $10.00 more per week. I'm a tight butt but this is even beyond me.