1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i'll take you back, but on my terms

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

don't ya just love when u got them eating out of the palm of your hand? you probably read my thread last week, "scrub gave me a lecture". well check it out....the lawn the scrub was cutting is one i used to do. the lady was such a chronic complainer, i had to drop her like a fat chic when the booze wears off. so it came to pass, he did her lawn, and that night, as i sit in my basement, in my own little sanctuary, my son comes down the stairs, "daddy, one of your customers is outside looking for you." i'm like, nooo, really? so i go outside,beer in hand, and who could it be? the scrubs customer. she says, " could u do my lawn?" i now have this overwhelming feeling of power, of having the upper hand, and i like it. i finish my beer, crush the can, and i say, "what happened to the snapper boys? they were doing so well." she says, "you mean, those two clowns with lawnmowers? i gave them the heave before they were even finished. please come back?" i say, "ok, i'll stop by on wednesday." so i'm doing her neighbors today, and i see her outside. i stop over, "ok mrs. x, these are my terms, and they are non negotiable. lawn gets cut once a week, rain or shine. i use my 48", 36" whatever i feel like. the walks are edged EVERY OTHER week, i will bag the grass if u insist, but i'll leave it in your receptacle, chemlawn goes, i take over the chemicals, at my price, i don't care what they were charging, and your mowing fee goes up $3 from last year, AND, no complaining, EVER! these are my terms, take it or leave it." she looks at me and says, "ok paul, we'll do it your way." (she thinks my name is paul, she's nuts for sure). that was one of 4 new lawns i picked up today. i'm either gonna be rich, or i'm gonna die from exhaustion. god bless america
  2. randy2625

randy2625 LawnSite Member

i got some like that too they are great to have, then i have customers that hate taking care of there yards i love those ones the most.
  3. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Reading all your posts about your problems with your clientele you are more likely to die from exhaustion.
  4. bobbygedd

from NJ

thanks for the encouragement.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta love livin' in America, huh bobby???
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

luv it rod. the sky is the limit in the great usa
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

So your saying the grass IS greener somewhere else?

See,the so called "scrubs" really don't mean chit for a real business.

Good for you.
  8. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Rich? No.

Die tryin?

maybe not.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Bob, admit it. You've sent letters to Penthouse haven't you? ha ha ha
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

tharrel, i don't get it. gee vee, rich, not so much in monetary terms, but this i will tell you, i will spend half of december, and all of january, in florida this year, you aint gonna catch me on here saying, "what do you guys do in the winter for money." i've come to the conclusion, if you can't make a decent living doing this, you are either lazy, or retarted. and dvm, my man, i believe competition will always be a factor, somehow, someway. but, for me, my first full time year has more than exceeded my expectations, the lord has shined upon me