I'll tell you guys what

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

It's 8'oclock here in Columbbus, OH and I just crawled in the house. I've been out all day. I had to get up early to cut one of my big accounts for the first time of the year and did the things you normally do on the first cut. I found some rocks in the lawn that I had to throw in the dumpster, some idiot had dumped 2 old doors on the lawn by the dumpster over the weekend that I had to throw in there. On top of that. The turkey they hired to plow their lots ran into the asphalt parking lot border and shoved several big slabs of it into the lawn. That's more stuff I had to move out of the way. They have a long ditch on top of that, that I had to clean up (line trimmer). Once we were done with that account, my helper and I went to another customer's property (residential) and there I spent the better part of the afternoon and evening trimming hedges. Alot of it was overhead trimming. They have 15 foot tall evergreen trees that had to be trimmed after I had finished the bushes. When I finally finished the trimming, we had to prune a bunch of branches out of their backyard and drag them out front to the truck parked on the street.

What I've been trying to say in a round about way guys is I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL HAVE ENOUGH FERT & SQUIRT CUSTOMERS TO QUIT MY FULL TIME JOB AND NEVER HAVE TO DO ANY MORE MOWING JOBS, NOR SPRING CLEAN UPS, NOR FALL CLEAN UPS, NOR LANDSCAPING, NOR ANY OTHER CRAP LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

If those of you that have already built your business up to the point where ferting & squirting is all you do get the impression that I'm jealous of you. YOU'RE RIGHT!

I'm sure not gonna miss this stuff. Now I have the pleasure of taking a shower, eating something and shortly after that going to bed because...........I have to get up at 5:30am tomorrow morning so I can go to my full time job at the airport. Since tonight is daylight savings time, I'm going to lose an hour of sleep to boot. So It's obviously going to be the equivelent of me having to wake up at 4:30am tomorrow morning. Boy it's great being me. :cry:

Vic

2. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

do you want some cheese to go with that whine

3. Victor

Lol That's a good one. :)

Vic

4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Vic,
    that was a busy day, I'm up north of you and their calling for a few inches of snow overnight. Guess you got a good day in already, plus the airport in the morning, ouch! Good Luck!

5. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Victor, I feel your pain ...well at least half of it. I finally took the plunge and dropped mowing this year. I do not have a full route of fert. and squirts so I still do landscape maintenance until my route fills up. I still need about 200 new customers and then I will have some wheel barrows, spades and pruners for sale!! :)

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i feel like the orphan kid doing odd jobs till i get to all fert and squirt
    i feel your pain its a hard knox life LOL

7. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Vic, I'm going into my 3rd season with out mowing or clean up, after doing it for 9 years I am soo happy. I dont know how I got side tracked into maintenance, My orginal goal didnt have mowing in it

I will say its hard saying no to customers or turning down work, I bidding on a large commerical project right now and I thought about bidding the mowing and subbing it out, but my wife brought me back to my senses,

Usually I can convince the management company to separate the lawn care from the landscapiing.

The 2 companies I work with right now are full and dont want to take on anymore mowing accounts so its tough saying No to customers. But i know I'm better off in the long run

8. Victor

I've thought about the transition for a long time and I only see advantages to doing the fert & squirts, compared to maintenance. With mowing, you always have to worry about servicing the your properties every week. With fert customers, I love how you can schedule around things like vacations. Depending on how heavy your workload is, you could take a week-long vacation. Try doing that when you have maintenance customers.

Yesterday was a full day, but what really kicked my butt is (you're gonna laugh) I have a sinus infection that already had kicked my butt before I started. So you could say that yesterday was definitely a rough one for me. I probably shouldn't have been out there trying to do all of that stuff, but I'm trying to get off to a good start.

It'll take time, but I'll be there some day. It's great that you're almost there Discovery. I'm sure you're really pushing hard to get the last accounts you're gonna need. I know I sure would be.

Vic

Vic