Illegal Advertisement!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by anthony reyes, Jun 2, 2004.

1. anthony reyes

anthony reyes LawnSite Member

is it illegal to post large advertisements '' I mow lawns"
    on telephone polls on busy intersections?(people advertise garage sales all the time) I know different citys may have different laws but what do you think? Is this a good way to get people to call for a bid.

sincerely, just getting started.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

talk to your city first. I know here to hang door flyers or post signs you need a permit, called a "peddlers permit." Better to ask first, before being fined.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Personally I don't like the idea of advertising on telephone poles. I just don't think you can attract a good clientiele that way. There are better forms of advertising than telephone poles.
    Just my 2 cents.
  4. indmowing

indmowing LawnSite Member

This form of advertising often looks pretty tacky IMO

I would have to agree with Jodi
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have 2 agree with Jodi on this one, way too tacky. All you see on those telephone poles is Crazy InfoMercials and Gimmicks or parties and concerts, really not what I would want to associate myself with.
  6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think putting signs on telephone polls does not look very professional. Send or hand out flyers would be better. I think you will find only price shoppers that way.

This is the ONLY way I advertize (see pic) The number is in the phone book but its just one line with the number. Thousands see the truck on a weekly basis and whats best I advertise exactly where I want to work. I have a customer who's job is marketing for large businesses in my area and when he saw the truck he commented on how it was among the best marketing he had seen. Said he could not think of a better way for me to advertise.:D

7. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

I know a guy who just started his business this season and did real well off of door hangers with a price on them. He started late in the season too and his phone is rining off the hook!
    I would say spend a bit of money and look professional right off jump. leave the telephone poles for fad diets and
    Good luck!
  8. Personaltouch

Personaltouch LawnSite Member

I started by putting flyers out and spent some good money on marking for my enclosed trailer and have yet to see much bus. from either. Most of my jobs came from word of mouth.
  9. pushu2

pushu2 LawnSite Member

I know that it violates Federal laws to NAIL anything to a telephone pole. But personally, when I see a sign on a pole, I think "Loser, pay for advertising like the rest of us." As to door haning, check with the Village or City Hall, every one has differrent laws on door hanging. Good luck.
  10. new-man

new-man LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

greenquest lawns-
    i really like your truck