1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Illegal Applicators

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Fox Fire, May 30, 2007.

1. Fox Fire

Fox Fire LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Can someone answer this question? What do you do about people using chemicals illegaly. I mean the ones that are running around using roundup,pre-emergents,post-emergents etc. Stuff they buy down at the home depot. I guess what I'm getting at, is I am having to compete aginst these guys for business. This is my first year in the lawn care business as a business owner. 100% legal:confused: in every way, and it cost me money and time. It is a pain in the butt to have to see these guys on a daily basis and know they are doing business illegaly.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Call your local Dept. of Agriculture office and report them. They'd love to know about anyone who's doing illegal apps.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fox Fire

Unfortunately about the only thing you can do is Jump up and down and Scream. It has been my experience the Wage slaves in the dept of Ag are happy chasing after the legal guys who's names and address they already have.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We have a guy here that is aggressive. He gave me his cell phone number and told me don't EVEN hesitate to call.

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't snitch , never

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, because that helps keep food on the table.

Call the DEC or your governing agency. Our guys will usually get there pretty quickly. All we need is a license plate and address where they are.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I have worked a single neighborhood for over 20 years. I don't do herbicides in my neighborhood, they bring in Chem-Lawn for that, or do it them selves. That may change however in that I don't like Chem-Lawn in my neighborhood any more.
    How much trouble is it to become liscenced in Wisconsin? I get the feeling it is not worth the hassle because there is no real competition for Chem-Lawn.

8. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

Where in central WI are you from smallaxe? I am also in central WI. I do not have certifications to spray pesticides. I have had rival companies call and turn me in for spraying pesticides when I haven't sprayed. I sub all my spraying out. Disgruntled because they lost some jobs to me. The guy did follow up on the call though.

9. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

How do you even know the persons are doing apps illegally. I wish I had the time to run around checking up on people...but I don't.

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Need to have stickers on each side of the truck to show that you have your license. Very easy to see the stickers or not.