Illegal companies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dobberjeff, Feb 26, 2008.

1. dobberjeff

dobberjeff LawnSite Member
    from Roy, UT

What do you guys do about people who use child labor and opperate without any licenses or insurance? They really bother me. I know a guy who says "my boy is just a 17 year old kid mowing lawns to help old ladies." Thing is I'm just a 26 yr old doing the sme thing and trying to make a living. All the expences I pay that he does not would sure be nice to get back. What is the industry standard for this? Turn him in or look away?:nono:

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don’t let it bother you look way.:waving:

3. qualitycut

qualitycut LawnSite Member

Does it seem like he is affecting your company or taking your customers?

4. cfrymow

cfrymow LawnSite Member

Don't let it bother you, Most people like that think this work is going to be a cake walk, then they start to sweet and run back home to mommy :cry:
    If it starts hurting you then turn him in. No bought about it.

5. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Did you ever cut lawns for extra cash when you were a kid? I know I did.No barrier to entry is the biggest challenge we have, its always been here and always will.

6. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Same position here. An older guy here in town, about 50-55 years old. No insurance, no taxes, no pestecide license but he has chemicals on his trailer at all times. He mows a couple of larger retirement homes in which i could never win the bid due to the fact he is on the village board. It's hard to get jobs when he will go mow an acre property for $15 and spray with no license.

7. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

You will waste more time trying to track these people down and reporting them than doing your job. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out who is legit and who is not. Just do your job and let the other guys who are illegal fail on their own.

8. equip4u

equip4u LawnSite Member
    from pa

Would you rather have this teenager going around slashing you tires and being a menace to society instead? IMO U.S. crime rate would sharply decrease if they would get these teenagers to work instead of lounging around. "Idleness is the devil's workshop" just my .02

9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

There have always been neighborhood kids cutting their neighbors lawns since I can remember and I am 44. In fact I was one of them. I used to cut my grandmothers lawn and two of her neighbors. If they want the kid to cut their lawn, there is nothing anyone can do about it, so why worry about it. I always here everyone complain that people have an advantage because they don't have insurance. Here in OK there is no law that I know about that requires someone to have it, but even if you do it is not enough to make much of a difference in your costs. Mine costs a whopping $35 a month for a 1million dollar policy. As far as taxes go, I guess its ok to get tax free money, but its also very nice to be able to write off everything under the sun related to your business. If you watch your costs and do a good job, these people should be no threat to your business.

10. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't agree more! Also, if they cut your neighbors lawn as a teen then maybe they would work for us as a employee when they turn 18!