Illegal Hired Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gemini1971, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

OMG.. I could not help but share this one... LOL!!!!!!!!! I have nothing against mexican workers. Some of the hardest working people I know.. It's those people that hire the illegal ones and then low ball jobs that get under my skin...

>
    >I hired a Mexican to help my bottom line.
    >He lost a few toes on a string trimmer line.
    >The shoes he wore were not the steel toed kind.
    >He wanted me to pay and I said have a nice day.
    >I fired him on the spot and sent him on his way.
    >A few weeks went by and things seemed just fine.
    >That was until I was arrested, jailed, and fined.
    >The Mexican I had hired was the illegal kind.
    >
    >
    >-Anonymous

2. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

Did he show you any papers at all? If they give you a social sec # and address that is proof there legal.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Either way ... I like the poem :laugh:

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

total BS..

a string trimmer line will not take off toes with bare feet, much less with any kind of shoes on....

also if you were not willing to pay for an injury that occured to an employee while they were working for you then you deserve to go to jail. It is your responsibility to make sure they are adequately dressed for work.

5. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

I'm almost positive it was meant that he went to jail for hiring an illegal and not for refusing payment...also...the entire thing is nothing more than a joke.

6. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

How is a soc. sec. nbr and address proof?

7. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

a social security card is proof of the legal right of someone to work in the USA after they show that you cannot legally question them further about being "legal"

8. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

What is interesting to note is that if you are an illeagal alien working in Mexico, both you and your employer face harsh fines and jail time. Have you heard of anyone doing time here for hiring them? Happened to be watching a political debate last night and one of the guys threw out a statement, not sure if it is true or false, that claimed there are 4000 illeagals crossing the border in Arizona........EVERY DAY! Hello? Homeland Security....anybody home?

9. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

Foreigners can't even own lake front property in Mexico...and no, nobody's home at the homeland security office...of course no administration has ever been home when it comes to security at the borders. The tri-lateralists will have their way in the end.:( This talkspayup...the rest of us are expendable.

10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Total BS!!
    Have you ever heard of an I-9 employment eligibility verification?
    You are suppose to have the employee fill it out at time of hire and verify the documents he provides.