Illegal lawn services?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I am reading a lot of threads with comments about legal and illegal...

I'm not talking about applicators..

What makes a lawn service illegal? Is it being without a license to cut grass? Does your state require you to have a license? When I was down in Florida they required you to have a license but it was only $25... Here in this part of Maryland it's not required.. How much is a license in your part of the country?

Or our we talking immigrants?

2. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

if a person is in business and not claiming income and not paying income tax it is illegal

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think those comments made about being legal or illegal were directed towards if LCO's were paying their taxes or were they "under the table".
    I could be wrong, but that's what I took it as.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Oh yeah... I forgot about that

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

We are required to have a business license,$20,I pay taxes,and maintaim 1 mil insurance,there are plenty of guys cutting with no insurance,not in business,not paying taxes,or claiming any of the income they make.They pocket the money,and usually have equipment that is on its last legs,and cut for 25-35 an acre,when going rates are 50-65 dependign in conditions.

6. Lawn Services

Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from DE

my license in delaware is 75$ plus every town i cut in is 25$ i pay 150 in license fees for the year

7. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Nobody here takes cash!! What are you talking about???:blush:

By the way tom, I think I saw you in Westminster the other day. Do you have a red Dodge with a magnetic banner on your doors? I saw it as you were turning off Main street onto 97 North.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Yes Scott.. That's me.

Have any accounts you wanna unload?

9. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Unload accounts? Hmmm, if you asked me 4 months ago I would have said yes! However, I bought another truck-trailer-mower combo for another crew to handle all the accounts in Mt. Airy which leaves me time to get every thing else complete. Still have that 97 2500 Dodge, but also have now a 2000 F350 Powerstroke Diesel, another 24' enclosed trailer, and 2 additional Lazers (4 total) for next season. BTW, how far are you willing to travel? I have some in Glen Bernie I dont like anymore. It takes 3 of us about 3 hours to mow this property. Pays $575 per cut every 7-10 days during the season. We usually have 4 guys on it and finish in a couple hours. I know you're a 1-man operation and it may take you a god part of the day, but hey....it's good money.

10. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

hey
    prime green lawn
    i live in brookeville/olney, maryland i would be willing to take a look at that property in glen burnie. That isn't that far for me.
    For the money it sounds worth it.
    you can call me 240-372-4982 or e-mail me bud17md@aol.com
    thanks man
    bryan