1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Illegal to put Flyers ON mailbox?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by recycledsole, Mar 7, 2014.

1. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

Back in the day when I had to pass fliers out. I got calls from the newspaper company telling me that they own the separate paper box and to stop putting flyers in the paper boxes. I mean your passing something out with your number on it!. All it will take is one pissed off paper delivery Guy or a home owner to call in and complain. But do what you want.
  2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They don't have a bucket to piss in.

I think mailboxes are even more messed up.

You have to buy the mailbox. Pay postage. Etc yet usps still claims they "own" it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

I use to use tri-fold 4.25x11 fliers with logo on outside and hang it on flags. Looked great. Got one call fro USPS. That rattled me enough to re-think it. This year got sticky door hangers and am going to stick them to mailbox posts and newspaper boxes (which is legal). They aren't meant to stick to wood which is what a lot of mailbox posts are, but I tested them and they hold for at least a day.
  4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

hm I will have to ask police and post office.
  5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

According to the U.S. Postmaster General, any part of the box, flag, and post is off limits. They can an will send you a bill in the mail the going first-class letter rate for every card they capture with your info on it.
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Just use the newspaper slot. Nothing they can do about that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

On no in yes. We put them between flag and box.
  8. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

First impressions count. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was too lazy to walk to the front door. They might think that someone who cuts corners by hanging flyers with the lease amount of effort as possible might also service their property with the least amount of effort and try to cut corners. That is why my door hangers get hung on doors, not mailboxes.
  9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

So strange to read how often this becomes a "yes, you can./no, you can't." debate.

Via the USPS web site:
    "No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

If you have a curbside mailbox or a mailbox on the outside of your house, Postal Service regulations govern what can and can not be placed in them. Generally speaking, only mail that has been sent through the USPS may be placed in these types of receptacles. Conversely, USPS regulations do not govern what can be placed in a mail slot on your door. This means that if a local business wants to put a flyer in the mail slot, they can do so.

Source: USPS.com (they've changed their web site, so search here for "flyers".)
  10. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

Tony - the debate is partly because the "receptacle" probably but does not definitely disallow the post of the mailbox.

AW - you, as always, take the self righteous position that homeowners would actually want you walking on their property and up to their front door rather than putting your propaganda near their mail, and judge you if you didn't.