1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Illegal to put Flyers ON mailbox?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by recycledsole, Mar 7, 2014.

1. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense, but you seem to be a little confused.

Policies, rules, regulations and laws that govern what a postal employee can and can not do while working for the postal service has no bearing on what a private citizen can and can't do.

You can get shot for walking on someone's property no matter where the property is located. However, it is just as illegal for the property owner to murder me in Texas as it is for a property owner to murder you in Maryland.

And when I say "I walk only on driveways and walkways. I do not cut across people's yardsÂ…not even a little bit." I mean exactly thatÂ…When I am out placing door hangers and I step onto someone's property, I walk only on driveways and walkways.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

People do not want strangers walking up to their doors. You are stepping onto private property.

You walk up to their door you set off their dogs. They have to calm down their dog. You just made yourself a pain in their butt.

Placing a flyer on a mail box shows you respect their privacy and know how to conduct business in a professional manner.

3. 32vld

Yes I have read the USPS regs before this thread appeared. Though when a mailman tells me I will be okay to place on the outside of the box I am not going to worry.

4. 32vld

Mailman told me sticking a flyer between the flag and the box is ok.

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Even if one USPS route guy says its ok, the next guy may not and turn you in. If they fine you its an equivalent of 2 first class stamps for ever piece you put out. That's about a buck a piece and that can get pricey. At least that's what it was 15 years ago
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Well said!

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Wow!! I've heard it all now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Uturf

Uturf LawnSite Member

If a mail carrier turns you in you will have a permanent file with the post master. If there is ever any mail fraud in the area you will be investigated. My advice stay the heck away from the mailbox it is a federal offence!

9. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Your mail carrier gave you bad advice.

10. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

Hanging hangers does such when the dog goes berserk. Also when the home owner is just a prick.
    Posted via Mobile Device