1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Illegal to write profanity on US Post mail?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Im sure people have done it when they dont like thier credit card company, the IRS etc... But have you ever received a letter that had "bad words" written on the front? This woman (40ish) acts like a 5 year old and mails us our payment and says Sh1t!@#$ on the front. Common, how immature are we? She had the nerve to call us unprofessional after the first email i mailed back to her prior to this too lol. jesus. All this for a mulching job that she decided she wanted her whole yard cleaned up for the same price.

Her original bill was under 400, i told her we could charge a $50 fee to clean up the other crap she was later requesting. I mail her her invoice for the amount, she calls us up that day, saying the place is a mess, nothing was cleaned up etc.... yet i have photos of a clean property, go figure. I said fine, ill remove the $50 charge for the cleanup work, just pay the original 400 amount right. Shes still not happy and wants us to all come back and clean everything else up. I said no way. We did way too much that was not in her oringal quote to begin with. She mails us a check for only $300, tax included keep in mind and with a nasty letter explaining how we were charging too much etc. I emailed her a contract for the $400 amount online, she agreed to the contract, yet requested and asked about several other things such as cleaning up rock bed areas, area in back of the property etc. We did all of the extra things, now she disputes is and doesnt even want to pay the original invoice for mulching work!

The check for 300 bucks says paid in full at the bottom so there is no way im depositing it. Then her husband emails me saying we are trying to rip his wife off after i write them a demand letter prior to going to court. At least the emails are proven and i dont need to send certified letters to show they received the letters. This biznitch yelled at my two guys 5 minutes after i left and said, they dont know what theyre doing, how long have they been working for us, do they know anything about plants... theyre laborers, theyre two white guys who speak fluent english and shes pissed off because theyre not a horticulturist? Even today, the email i received from the husband states, "you dropped off two guys who didnt know what they were doing"..

They did just as i asked, pull out the weeds and cleanup the mulched areas so that when i bring back my bededgers, we can edge the mulchbeds and mulch everything in.

The lady says that she wants my pictures taken of her property destroyed because she did not give me permission or authorize them to be taken of her property and house... seriously, have you ever heard of crap like this? The photos will be used in court, with or without her permission. This was from early April 08 and im still pissed off about it, especially because its a small amount too. If the woman was honest, not pulling any punches and didnt chew out my guys, i would have gone back to address any issues she was complaining about even though shes got a stick up her $%# just to make peace... What would you have done?
  2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sounds like your dealing with the issue just fine. Keep us posted and good luck.:usflag:
  3. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

i wouldve done the same, youll def. win this case
  4. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

no offense but is this lady an indian? i have a lot of them here and i will sometimes refuse to do the work because they tell you one thing and than they add 23 more other and expect the same price....
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd guess white, overweight, mid to late 30's (maybe early 40's). Nice house, nice neighborhood, did the cleanup herself last year and is too lazy to do it again this year but wants something extraordinary in a simple cleanup for a cheap price.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That a load of crap, underpay and write "Paid in Full" on there.

I was going to write out a bunch of my own thoughts on this kind of stuff but decided to skip that...
    So, I'm sorry to hear about this but you're doing the right thing
    and I hope it all works out for you and sorry about the anger.
  7. FNG

FNG LawnSite Member

I would

A. Take the letter to the post office and ask to see the local post master...show that to him.

B. Write her a certified letter stating that she has 5 working days to pay you what she owes you before you file on her in small claims court.

C. tell her in that letter that she is welcome to all copies of the pictures either when she pays you or she can collect them in court when she has to pay you there.

D. I would call an attorney and ask if depositing the check constitutes your acceptance of her payment as completion of the contract. While I'm not a lawyer, and do not know the laws of your state, I don't believe that old trick will work.

I believe a small claims court judge would side with you and make this idiot pay you...in full.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

That's just what I would do. Also, I think she can get in a bit of trouble for writing that on the envelope. And the letter carrier that delivered it will probably remember it and side with you. She deserves to get in some trouble. And the fact she wrote that on that envelope tells me what a loser that couple is. They probably do everything they can at every juncture to get out of paying each bill they possibly can.
  9. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

You showed weakness when you took off the $50 for the extra clean up. She saw this as well. You said even after you took that off she still wanted you to come back and do that work again for free(again). She wanted it done twice for free!!!!!!!!!!!! She complained and you took off $50. She thought she would try it again with the final payment. You set the stage for her to try it again. I am not pointing this out to harp on you. We have all done this and we must learn from it so that it hopefully doesn't happen again. People like this don't care about ethics or morals. They can't screw the credit card company for their own fiscal irresponsibility but they can take it out on the "lawn boy". I would definitely take this to the post office and see if they did break the law. Probably just get a warning if they did but it will make your court case even more solid when you point this out to the judge. Make sure that the judge knows that you tried to accomodate this wench by removing $50 from the invoice. This will show him you have integrity and tried to solve the problem without bringing to court. You should have an easy case to win. Take your employees with you as witnesses and make it a fun field trip. Might want to consider sueing for lost income for that day in court. Why not, you are already there.
    Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Deposit the check and walk away. $150 aint worth the headache. You can make $700 in the time it would take to collect this $150.
    Right it off as education.
    Ok , flame away.