Illegal workers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by F&SLawnCo, Mar 29, 2007.

1. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

To be honest here, how many companies are employing illegal workers. I'm not trying to form a lynch mob here, I just am interested if you have to do this in your area to be competitive? On the flipside, how many of us have made the commitment to not hire illegals? I personally have made that commitment and have never regretted it. I feel I am helping grow this industry, not diminish it.
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We have always had this policy and it has hurt our bottom-line some, but has helped us grown GOOD clients and quality leads. We are against the H2B program, or any other means to export American revenues and have a network of contractors with similar beliefs.

The sad part is that our industry has "accepted" the practices of hiring "exporters" that earn a decent wage while in America and have (5-6) relatives using tax dollars for food stamps and aid on the bus with them. The revenue is then sent back to their homeland to benefit their families (which is admirable) but America suffers at their benefit. Unless there's a policy that says we can print as much paper money as we want and that's not the case.

I have struggled all my life to make ends meet in America, does that mean that I should be able to pack up my family and move to Mexico for the summer? While I'm there I will use their government resources, evade taxes, commit crimes (mostly alcohol violations), and I may even disregard my Visa status and just stick around. I wonder if Mexico will let me earn pesos (which are worth more than dollars in this case) and send them back to my family. Since pesos are valuable in my country, I don't think I will exchange them. Instead I will spend them in my market and Mexico will never see those pesos again. Sounds like a plan, huh?
  3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

All I hire is illegals.

Oh yeah, I don't have insurance, I'm not licensed, I run homeowner equipment and my minumum to cut is $10.

Don't forget, I don't pay taxes either.

*end of sarcasm, in case someone doesn't get it.*

Now come on, who in their right mind is going to admit on a public forum that they hire illegals??

I think it's admirable of you guys that make a point of NOT hiring them. In fact, I think they should be sent back "home" until they have legal rights to be here. I'm solo so I don't have to worry about hiring/firing right now so I'm lucky. But I can say with 100% certainty no illegals will EVER work for me.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, that would be an awful chance to take, to admit this here. Perhaps a hint you can glean on occasion, but that's as close as I think we'll ever get, other than the odd newb, I wouldn't tell if I did but I really am solo. :laugh:

Because all it would take is one phonecall, maybe from a disgruntled competitor or somebody who did not like what someone else said.
  5. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Who says that the illegals are just the south of the border folks. Maybe a better question would be who pays ANYONE cash for a few days work? and doesn't report it? But then that opens up another can. Who takes cash for mowing and doesn't report it either? I mean reality is that you could just take their (residentials) checks to their bank and cash them right?

I got a 1099 from a few residentials one year! Their "tax guy" said they could write it off! Never woulda thunk it.
  6. F&SLawnCo

Nick Auxer, I understand what your saying but in the scope of things the cash that you pay folks that reside in this country, stays in this country. It doesn't leave on the next bus, plane, or train. That doesn't mean i am condoning it. I am not speaking of just the folks south of the border either. I don,t care where they are from. The bigger picture here is that there are far to many green industry contractors paying below market wages to employees that spend the majority of their money outside this country and it prevents the industry as a whole from growing. How many of us have been mowing the same accounts for more than 5 years. If so can you honestly say that the rates you recieve now have risen equal to or in excess of inflation. There is a reason that middle and upper class folks think of us as the "lawn boy" and if we continue to perpetuate that it will not change.
  7. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Que tal me amigos?
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I've made a commitment NOT to hire illegals
  9. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Irish travellers?
  10. F&SLawnCo

Whats up with you my friend.