1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BerksLawn, Apr 13, 2002.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Ok we don't have the time or amount of customers to get a license. But is it illegal if our customers go out and buy the material and pays us to put it down?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Every States laws are a little different. In South Dakota if you apply any type of pesticide to any elses property you must have a commerical licencse. Just this year they passed an exception that allows farmers to exchange work applying pesticides without the license. That's the only exception.

In fact in order to apply restricted products on your own property, you have to have a private applicators licnese.

Thus even though I have a commercial licnese, I also have to have a private license to use RUPs at the nursery

Point is the answer to your question would have to come from your state licensing agency

Doug Austreim
    Austreim Landscaping Inc
  4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Call and find out with your state, I'm sure it varies. If the customer buys it they might as well put it down themselves.

5. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

In our state you can't even spray soap to kill aphids wo a license...
  6. sunrise

sunrise Banned

YES, you are doing it for a price.Your getting a wage for it
  7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

That's why they call it an Applicators License in Wa St
  8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

From what I have always read and heard, and so far seems to be true in most states, you can apply miracle-gro, or fertilizer to any grass around because you are making things grow. Growing is good, so go ahead.

But not so fast!!!

Most fertilizer also has "Halts - Crab grass preventer" or "Weed" N Feed"... It's the Halting or Weeding or KILLING that is bad bad bad and needs to be licensed.

Cause killing stuff means that *YOU* are playing God. Which plants live and which ones DIE. Decisions, Decisions, which need to be made by people who have been taught the right way and the wrong way to do it.

And for that, you need a license. :)

And that's why even spraying soap on some bugs (God-mode - deciding what dies, and when) needs a license.

But if you want to mix up that blue colored Miracle Gro stuff all ya want, from what I've read, in most states, that would be fine.. <G>

But probably Not what your customer exactly intended when they said "Do you do fertilizer?"
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Bill summed it up good.
  10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

In Virginia I need a Fertilizer License (not an Applicator License) to put down Miracle-Gro on any property other than my own.