1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by newblade, Nov 22, 2004.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Is it illegal to put fliers in the mailboxes? How do you hand out fliers?
  2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

ill-egal? here that means sick bird.. :)
  3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is and on the doors.
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

"Is it illegal to put fliers in the mailboxes?"

- yes

"How do you hand out fliers?"

- Method #1: Take a pile and one by one place them in your prospective clients doors

- Method #2: Take a pile and stand in front of your local supermarket, and give them to people.

- Method #3: Take a pile to the center of a neighborhood and throw them as high as possible so that they disperse in a wide area, a windy day would be best. People will come by and pick them up thus completing your objective.
  5. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

In N. C. it is illegal to put anything in a mail box without a stamp on it. Don't ask me how I know. You can put door knockers out all day without any trouble.
  6. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

A mail carrier who also is a part time LCO hear said that it is illegal to put anything in or even on he mail box or the mail box post. Taping your flyer to it is included in this statment. I will be doing door hangers this year. They are very reasonably priced if you check around. I checked with some local places in Knoxville, and they wanted a lot more money than the places on the internet. Good luck.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

even if it has a stamp on it, you still can not place it in someones mailbox. Also not every place you can put door hangers on without a "peddlers" permit

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The old LCO I worked for put flyers on mailboxes for years and years with very few postal complaints. Never had to pay a fine, just every once in a while we'd get a threatening phone call to watch it. I suppose it all depends on how zealous your particular post offices are.

Mailboxes, even though you buy them, are technically not your property, they are property of the postal system, and any use by someone other than Cliff Claven or Newman (from Seinfeld) is strictly prohibited.
  9. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it. I think it's really good advertisement and I don't see how anyone could really get really mad over it.

You should also post them up in grocery stores. I work at a grocery store and near the exit door they have a bulletin board where you could put any type of add that you want. Of course whenever I see a lawncare one I rip it down and replace it with mine. :D
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

BOTH of these are spoken just like a TRUE 15 Year Old Child! It is a violation of FEDERAL LAW to put these on or in a mailbox! You can go to jail and be finded hundreds of thousands of dollars for this act. Or in your case you mommy and daddy can!

The second statement is simply CHILDISH. GROW UP KID!