1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Illegals .. p/h?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RonB, May 28, 2006.

1. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I just heard a joke on TV about an illegal offering to do Bush's job, as president, for three bucks an hour .. cash only ..

anyway, I was wondering what some "hear" illegals get p/h that work for others in the lawn biz around your area.
  2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here they are getting $15 - $18 p/h in the green industry. I know they are making between $18k & $25k for the summer here because they will work all the overtime there is. BTW, the ones I know of are all paying taxes.
  3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then if they are paying taxes then they are not Illegals. thanks again for not answering his question and thanks as well to all the others that do this.:hammerhead:
  4. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

Around here they pay $8 per hour, some dont care if you have documentation or not, i know of some mexican guys who make up to $15-18 bucks a hour just being "supervisors", however i would not risk any business having a supervisor driving a company truck with no proper documentation, etc i know some of those guys dont even have a DL.

However here in Texas the landscaping company can avoid any fines by the INS by simply hiring the workers through staffing agency's "temps", the only thing is that you have to pay a little more, for instance if your going to pay $8per hour, you will have to pay the temp agency $13-$14/hour total, your not responsible for documentation as you are hiring them through a contracted staff agency.
  5. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

gezz - I'm somewhat suprised on these numbers. I would have guessed it to be less than minimum wage.
  6. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

7-9 in atlanta

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

From what I've heard around here they want $12 an hour and up. Of course I don't hire any illegals so this info may not be deemed reliable...
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

These guys are getting higher wages this year because there is a definite shortage of people. Wages in our area are $8 - $10 and you must insure you get them 40 hours or they will leave.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Lets have an understanding first because to an employer, there is not much of a difference between a real green card and an imitation.
    I was just reading on Yahoo how legal immigrants are having to wait 5-10 years and longer for their applications to be processed in hopes to get the real papers while watching their comrades come in much faster with fake papers that look just as good.
    Some may jump the proverbial fence but the smarter ones cross the border at the station with a straight face, and if the guard lets them through I would assume the papers look real enough, and who am I to assume they're not real?
    So when it is very difficult even for an expert to see the difference, lets not expect employers to know what is and what is not real, the imitation green card looks highly legitimate and if I were an employer, I could not see shorting the Mexican senior on their hourly wage, sorry to say but green card is green card if it looks legit to me, I assume it is legit first and let the migra ask the stupid questions.
  10. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Here they are getting about 8 per hour to start. Some good, experienced workers making 10 an hour. Legit drivers starting at 10 upwards to 15 per hour.