illegals

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ALL-American, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ALL-American

ALL-American LawnSite Member
    from Houston

After much research, I decided to start a landscape company. I have a full time job as a firefighter and was looking to make some extra money. I researched alot of companies and found most of the people working in my area (south of Houston) are either working w/o insurance and paying taxes, or illegal immigrants. The prices they are charging almost make it impossible to compete. There is a company who services some homes in my subdivision that are a family of illegal immigrants. not only are they undercharging for mowing, but they are applying chemicals w/o a license. I also witnessed them washing out their sprayer tanks into the storm sewer. I had about enough, so with one simple call to INS problem solved. I felt kinda bad a bout it for awhile, but screw that! In fact I got a call from a potential customer who stated that my price was too high and that she had a lower price from the family of illegals, I replied to her that I payed taxes to the government. She was surprised to hear that the company wasn't legit. I told her that she pays income tax on her money, why would she allow someone to make money with her hard earned cash and not share in the tax load as she does. I guess few homeowners care or don't know. Anyone else have this in their area?

2. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Starting to pick up customers who are complaining about it, here. Two in a week.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Could you elaborate on this part of your post? You mean that the family is gone now and that we are to assume the government actually came and got them? Not doubting your word just more shocked that something actually happened. congratulations if it worked.

4. ALL-American

ALL-American LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I requested a quote for them to do my lawn and they gave me all there info. I had there home address and phone and license plates. Gave info to INS and come to find out not only are they illegal, but had no license to drive and had an accident about a 3 months ago, and no insurance to boot. The whole process took about three weeks, to have them start paper work. I followed up with the agent from INS a couple of times. The case got handed over to homeland security which did the majority of investigation ,which I found out that others had filed complaints about them. In all for just a couple of hours of my time it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have heard stories from others about how long it takes and that they did nothing, but maybe I got lucky. All I know is they have been deported and are no longer in US.

5. thes

thes LawnSite Member

GOOD! One less family of illegals that we have to pay for!:usflag:

6. CA CLT

CA CLT LawnSite Member

They'll be back next week.

7. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

good for you! now if we can just get rid of the other 50million families here illigially!

8. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I think we make a big point here. If we all (LC owners) form an informal union to fight this, we can make a difference. It won't necessarily go away, but we can make it more difficult for them to run our neighborhoods and provide services at unrealistically low prices.

I, for one, would like you to post more details (e.g. phone numbers, contacts, etc) regarding your reporting.

Thanks!

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree with you, all of the LCO's should form a union of some sort to take back our rights as Americans. If someone knows who to go about starting something for all of us LCO's who don't want illegals here anymore then sign me up cause im tired of paying for all the illegals