1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ILLINOIS Guys What's Ur Cutting Height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSLND, May 20, 2006.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I was cutting at 2.5 but switched the other day because i thought i was cutting too low to 3.0 but i was just wondering what the other IL. guys are cutting at? -Mitch-
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think northern grasses do best at 3-3.5 inches. Cutting at 2.5 inches would be hard on most lawns and would let alot of weeds in. But most of the landowners around here like them cut very low so you've got to make the customer happy. I could be wrong about this and I'm sure some more experienced Lawnsite members could answer your question better. I cut my own lawn at 3.5 and my nieghbors cut at about 2.25 to 2.5 inches and they can't get rid of all the dandylions in thier yard. Letting the grass grow taller helps keep such weeds out or at least that's what I've been told.
  3. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm down in the southern part of Illinois and one of my yards the lady keeps asking if I can cut it lower the next week. Finally last week at 2 1/2" she was satisfied.
    Most of my yard I do at 3 1/2" in the spring (one part I do at 4" because I want it to take a deep root for mid summer/late fall, and lots of traffic over it as well). My dad wants his done at I think 4" (he usually does it himself but once in a while I'll do it if I know he's pretty busy). All of my other yards I do at 3 1/2".
  4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

2.5 would be waaaaaay too low for most lawns. We've lost a few customers because we wouldn't grind their lawns down. We figure people look at our work and if the lawn looks like hell guess who gets blamed? The lawnboy of course:laugh: We do have one lawn that we cut at that heighth but the customer was cutting even lower so we've improved his lawn some anyway.:clapping:
  5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new customer this year that comes out every darn week with an old school wooden ruler and measures as I'm mowing :dizzy: ... this is his first time having a lawn service and being that he's 92 years old all I can do is give him credit for making it this far lol:clapping:
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

3-3.5" here.........
  7. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

3-3.5" i have one customer that wants it at 2" he pays well and i have a couple of his neighbors, tried talking him out of it, but he has sprinkler system, and we fert 6x year so, loked ok last year, could be better, but money is money atleast it aint dead
  8. DSLND

Great! After doing all my customers i really like how the finished yard looks alot greener and thicker. Thanks For the Replys! -Mitch-
  9. eastham

eastham LawnSite Member

3 inches is best. :clapping: 2 3/4 is what I cut at in the spring if the lawn is watered often.
  10. DSLND

2 3/4 is what my toro super recycler cuts at but it dosent make too much of a difference bc it can go to 3.o it goes 2 3/4 , 3 1/4 so i went with the 2 but i may change it. -Mitch-