1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Illinois Irrigation Law

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterlogged, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We empathize with the Illinois Irrigators.

There has been a continuing battle in the State of Texas with plumbers pushing to get control over irrigation. If not for the dedicated people who fight the constant legislative items that are promoted by the plumbers in Texas, we, as Licensed Irrigators, would have ceased to exist.

The information in this article illustrates the continuing battle in Illinois.
    http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/ll-1219-Irrigation-Illinois-plumbing-license-law.aspx

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

it's going to be a Nation of Trunk-Slammers at this rate

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I followed that case with interest, I.A. poured all they had into defeating that bill, but, as we know, the plumbers have deeper pockets than we do. :hammerhead:

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Not so much deeper pockets as it is a bigger group.

There are a lot more plumbers out there than dedicated Irrigators. As Irrigators we have the unique opportunity to (sometimes) come on the job after construction is done and to be hired directly by the home owner. This cuts out the middle man (read contractor) which lets us put more money in our pockets. The plumbing installs are always done through the contractor, which cuts into the profit margin. Most of the time the contractor goes with the lowest bid, because he can keep an eye on it and it is inspected.

Because we work directly with the home owner we can sell up-grades, and also the cheapest man usually does not win.

On the other hand I also work for some high end custom home builders, and they definitely sink their teeth into my profit. It would suck to be a plumber.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Plumbers don't have a clue about irrigation ..... but then neither do most irrigators. :cry:

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I know I would resign if they said I have to be a "Licensed Plumber"

They can have it, I'm not about to go through all that crap.:hammerhead:

The plumbers aren't going to do what we do and it's going to cost the homeowners money and quality.:confused:

7. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Amen. Although I have to believe they know better than what they do.

8. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

It's just such an odd battle. I have yet to ever meet a plumber that has any interest in digging, much less operating a trencher. In fact, the plumber I use for taps calls me whenever he gets hit up by the homeowner about irrigation work because he has zero interest...

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I fought the plumber's lobby in WA about backflow; they wanted complete discretion. In one public meeting with the State and local purveyors, I got up and said, "we sprinkler guys know a fu=ck more about backflow than you dorks do." That calmed everyone down, including me, but I was still pissed. The State finally gave sprinkler BAT testers the right to service assemblies within a premise, but not to remove them, that was in the plumber's world. I thought I'd done my best, and ,cripes (not that I let on) I'd have called the plumbers anyways if the assembly needed to be removed from the interior.:waving:

10. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Illinois just sucks so much that they will let it expire and screw the entire industry. Guess I have a year to find a new job.