1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Illinois startup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cylinder3missfire, Aug 19, 2009.

  1. cylinder3missfire

    cylinder3missfire LawnSite Member
    from IL
    Posts: 43

    Hi all, I have been reading this forum and searching this forum for quite a while. I have a couple of questions regarding lawn care startup in Illinois. I know about insurance and the like, however I have searched here, google,and Illinois government websites and havent found a thing about lawn care. I am trying to find out about getting a business license, registering for taxes, and everything legal on the state/federal side of startup. When going through the drop down tabs on the state sites you have to pick what type of business you are, there are no lawn care, grounds maint., or selections available that are even close. I was just wondering what everyone from illinois did to become fully legit and legal as a business with the state. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and love the site!
  2. jada86

    jada86 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 124

    Go to your local county or city website. It's possible you don't need a state license. Call your local county offices and ask for the contractor's licensing division or similar.
  3. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,201

    Call up the ILL Dept. of Rev and request a small business registration tax kit and then go to www.irs.gov and get your EIN. Landscaping/lawn maintenance is a service business.
  4. cylinder3missfire

    cylinder3missfire LawnSite Member
    from IL
    Posts: 43

    sorry Im slow at responding, Thanks for the replies. Lawnpro724, Who in your experience is a good company for insurance? Just wondering, thanks fellas!
  5. MikeWeingand

    MikeWeingand LawnSite Member
    Posts: 11

    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. lawnjocky

    lawnjocky LawnSite Member
    Posts: 184

    It will depend on what you plan to do in your business. If your just cutting grass and trimming bushes you don't need anything. At the end of the year just declare the the income on your tax returns. Planning on being bigger with more services.
    Employees. You need a FEIN and a state number for unemployment. Fed and Il. employment (I think, can't remember) Work comp. insurance. your Ins. agent
    Resale of products. A state sales tax id number. Il. dept of revenue
    Spraying. Proof of insurance and applicator license. Il. Dept of agriculture

Share This Page