I'm a 1099 "employee"..questions

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jermana232, Mar 19, 2013.

1. jermana232

jermana232 LawnSite Member

I work for a one man landscaping company as a 1099, Ive been with him for a little over a month now. How much money am I losing out on come tax time as opposed to a w2? So I'm at 11/Hr but after taxes as a w2 your really at let's say 9.25 Hr. Would anyone know how much less an I'm actually get as a 1099? I'm on his insurance but am I actually covered if say I hit a rock and it breaks a window since I am a "contractor" is that all on me? I just need a job pretty bad and was happy to get this until I really researched the 1099 thing. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

1st your an employee,he's just trying to skate around the tax .Also if you were a 1099 you will have to pay all taxes on that amount.

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

There is no such thing as a 1099 employee. He is breaking the law.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jermana232

Right I understand that but I finally was able to get a job
    Or else I would just leave. I was just curious how much more I really am losing out on as a 1099 in hourly wage. Also am I truly covered by hiss liability ins?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Better put some money away each week, it's a good amount when you gotta pay at the end of the year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

Your are treated like a contracted employee, which means that you have to pay the employee and employer portions of medicare and social security tax (aka self-employment tax) which is 13.3 percent on top of your income tax rate. So if he's paying you at least enough as a contracted employee to cover that cost then your fine. Yes, his insurance should cover you if you break a window.

7. jschultznorth

jschultznorth LawnSite Member

you will be paying double the social security tax is all really. Normally an employee pays a percentage and the employer pays a percentage. All the others are the same. I just put 25% of my check away for taxes and pay quarterly to avoid a fine. I am 1099 also. Don't know how it works with you but I have to have a buisness license because of that. I claim my miles on my truck at the end of the year which is a 55 cent a mile right off, cell phone bill and any other stuff I need as a 1099 "employee", vendor, whatever you want to call it.

8. jermana232

So really I'm just paying 6.8% more then I normally would since I'd e paying the employers half of the 13.3 as well? I don't drive my truck when actually working i just commute to his shop
    Daily an ride with him. Anything else I could claim?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Clothes cell phone any equipment

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Thats about it, however since your wmployed and not a sub contractor yall fellers are breaking the law so I keep the whole thing on the "QUIET"