I'm a 30 year old in 90 year old mans body

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AGG Lawn Maintenance, Jun 30, 2002.

1. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I have been doing landscaping for 15 years now. Yes ever since the ripe old age of 15. My back feels like about 100 people ran right over it to get to The Back Street Boys. Over the last 4 years I have been getting sharp pains in my lower back area. Sometimes the pain is up higher as well. But still the show must go on. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what do you do??? Sometimes I can't even sit down for too long. I am tring to save myself from going to the Doctors but I'm not getting any better. Help!!!
    Travis
    AG&G Lawn Maintenance:confused:

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you though I'm only 14, and I already have bad back pains from working landscaping all day sometimes, not mowing lawns. I'm gonna die working before I'm 20 i swear.

3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't wait around and wait till your in pain and can't move......its only going to get worse, do something about it now. I have a slight advantage my dad and my two brothers are Chiropractors. :) I see them reguraly and I have no problems. A lot of other guys I know in the business also go to my Brothers also. Got to keep maintenance on yourself above anything else!!!

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I hear you.... im 18 and my body is convinced its 60! some days are worse then others!

5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Travis, I feel your pain brother, I worked for a beer distributer for about 7 years before I got back into this biz again, I had 500 pounds of beer fall on my knees one day and have not been right since that day. Just aly on a heating pad when it hurts and go on with the day. I hate going to the docter for that because they will tell me the samething that they have told me for years" find an office job" and I tell them " hell no" I will live with it.

Kevin
    Williams Lawn Management:cry:

6. I know the feeling.

Go to a sports medicine dr. not a Chiropractor.

Learn how to strenthen the back not tweak it.

7. Robert T

Robert T LawnSite Member

I sugg going to the Dr. I know the feeling very well. I am a Diesel mechanic full time, and do a lot of lifting. My last back injury a couldn't sit for very long so i went to Dr. and found that i twisted my pelvic bone on the left side. My left leg was shorter that the other and long story short after 12 wks of Physical therpy i can sit again!
    the pain is from the siatic nerve that runs from back to leg right under your butt cheek.....go to Dr cause it won't go away by its self i tried that theory!!

Robert

8. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I used to swing a pick all day and carry heavy garbage cans full of wet grass on my shoulders. I don't do these things anymore. You may need to stop doing things the way you always did them and learn how to do them differently. Now my garbage can has wheels.

9. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

i know what youre talking about. im 37 yoa i've been cutting lawns since i was 14 yoa. as you get older you learn to work smarter.for last couple of years i mow with a sulkey,and pace my self,drink plenty of water,the best investment i have made with the business is buying ear protection with the am radio in them so i can listen to rush all day.get one of those radio's you wont regret it

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You have to get to a Doctor because there are many things that it can be. Some are quite treatable and some are always going to be there. There are sciatic nerves, lumbar disc problems, arthritis, pelvic problems. The Doc can tell you what is going south on you and sometimes even perscribe the right medication to try and ease the pain.
    You wouldn't run your Z too long with a cracked frame would ya?