1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm a little cornfused

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by marquis de sod, May 30, 2008.

1. marquis de sod

marquis de sod LawnSite Member

Just tried my hand at corn meal application on my soccer field, spread @ 14#/1000 with a John Deere pull behind rotary fertilizer spreader. I bought ground corn from my local grain elevator at $103/ 1000#. I was pleased with the price for an acre and a half but the spreading was difficult. The ground corn would not "flow" very smoothly through my wide open metering throat. I had to drive like a madman and let the bumps jostle it down throught the hole. Is this normal? Do I have the right "corn meal"? Would rolled or cracked corn work as well and flow better? I would like to use this on my mowing accounts but would hesitate given the flow problem.
    Second question: The elevator also has corn gluten meal, but it is in pellet form, not a powder or "meal". That would spread better I believe but would the more concentrated amounts of meal spread in sparser pattern have the same effect. The CGM is $155/ton at 18% protien. What rate should I use to spread it.
    And finally, my soccer field was just overseeded with fescue May 1, should I follow the corn meal with molasses for the new grass, or compost tea?
    Thanks for all your help.
  2. jrzmac

jrzmac LawnSite Member

I may be wrong but I think the corn meal will kill the grass you just put down. The compost tea might be a good idea though. Someone else may want to chime in here, but I would hold off on the corn meal til one of the expert's on here gives the go ahead.
  3. marquis de sod

The interseeded fescue is up and @ 2" tall already. it was seeded with a special turf drill the first of May and has had timely rains since. I believe it should all be germinated by now. Does corn meal have the same anti germination traits as CGM?
  4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

corn meal and corn meal gluten are 2 different things, they are both good foods for the soil, the CMG is a weed root inhibitor, we have use both for different reasons. we can say that any corn product seems to act as a fungus inhibitor, in that it supports some fungus eating fungus. ict bill has a new liquid product cumming soon, lets see if he chimes in.
  5. marquis de sod

I understand the use of the two different corn products in the abstract, my question concerns the physical characteristics of the two in the form I found them at the local feed store in the Midwest. The corn meal was hard to spread and the CGM was in pelletized form, like a cylindrical extrusion @ 1/4 in diameter ( much like the hog and cattle protien supplements we used to feed). Does CGM in this form work as well as a fertilizer as the ground or powdered form?
    Should my ground corn be flour-like with small bits of the yellow part of the kernel still intact? How do you spread it with some accuracy?
  6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

accuracy in my book is over rated, pellets are good. when they get wet do they crumble. i would say yes use them if you want, there should be no problems.

if i had a nickle for ever spreader trouble, i would be rich like an oil tycoon

ps love the name! have you read his works.
  7. marquis de sod

Yes, the pellets would crumble, they could possibly even be "rolled" or "cracked" at the feed mill and come out in a less than powdery state. I guess I'll just give them all a try. The prices were eye opening, much less that bagged fertilizer for the same application. Is a 15# application of corn meal somewhat equivalent to a 1# application of chemical N, just with a biological pace of response?
    And no, I've never read an entire work of his, just some exerpts. I lived in France for a few years and can't resist a bilingual pun. Thanks for your help
  8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

For application rates in this range, look at a moving belt spreader, rather than a cone style broadcast spreader. The moving belt spreader is much more tolerant of moisture and "clingy" materials.

I have an old Turfco Mete-R-Matic that I bought as a pile of rusted junk from a golf course. A couple days in the shop, a couple hundred dollars worth of parts, about a gallon of paint, and I have an $8,000 spreader for just over a thousand.