I'm a new super Z owner with a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by 308, Aug 18, 2006.

1. 308

308 LawnSite Member

After months of study and net research and a client base to pay for it I chose a Hustler super Z for my first commercial mower.

Have mercy this is one grass cutting machine, I got the 54" xr 7 with the 25 kawi on it. The dealer was great, he went out of his way to get me a good price.

A few questions- What is the average amount of hours you see in your experience between air filter changes on your mowers.

My dealer said to change the air filter at 20 or so hours, but after putting 22 or so on my machine my filter just doesn't't look that dirty, I want my machine to last and will gladly perform filter changes but I don't won't to spend money that I don't have to.

I got the 54" deck because that is the biggest that would fit my trailer plus I have several small residentials and need the smaller deck.

Is there any other make of blade that will work with the 54" xr7 ? I plan to use Hustler blades but its still good info to have in case you have to make do.

Is there anywhere on the net that I can order the hustler blades?

All in All I feel like I got the best machine out there for my uses, Joey S aka 308

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is a common sense issue, I mow around chicken houses where the conditions are very dusty and I change about every 100 hrs. The filter manufactures will tell you not to blow them off and I have been blowing out filters on a combine for years but the filters on these mowers actually filter better after they get their first coat of dust on them where as a combine is in so much dust it will restrict the airflow after about 8 hrs. and I have to clean them. In normal grass mowing where you have very little dust you could probably go 200 hrs. it is really just a matter of what you feel comfortable doing because you are the only one that knows the conditions you are mowing in.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

First.....
    Welcome to the Hustler family !!!!
    Your mower has a air filter guage, do not change the air filter (I wouldnt even take it out) until it reads in the red.
    As far as blades go, it is a new deck, I doubt you will find aftermarket sources for it for a little while.
    With the stock Fusion blades you will find yourself not replacing them as often as your used to with other mowers / brands of blades.

4. 308

308 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the answers, On the air filter that was my gut feeling, after 24 hours of use the filter looks like it has that first coating of dust on it to make it more effective, when you hold it to the light you can still see plenty of light comeing through it.

With the good hustler dealer 50 miles from me and another at 35 or so it still would be nice to be able to find a source for hustler blades online.

The more I mow with it the more I like it, it is a grass cuttin machine, that's for sure, Joey S aka 308

5. Cornwell

Cornwell LawnSite Member

I have an 03' 60" Hustler Super Z , first of all let me say I love my Super Z, and I don't know what kind of deck it has and I am concerned about the quality of cut. I really like the mower cuz it takes alot of abuse and keeps on goin but I'm having a problem with leaving a blade or two uncut here and there. I've tried gator blades, stock blades, goin slower and I've got to solve this problem. I'm a bit of a perfectionist with my lawns and have heard and seen so much lately about the xr7 decks having problems and I would like to be able to fix this problem without gettin an exmark or something. I also have a problem with the deck shootin out the front like a blower. I hope some one can help.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think I would be to concerned with after market blades unless you can get the same fusion blade. You will find these blades will cut longer than you ever imagined if you are not cutting anything but grass. I cut everything you can imagine, the road going into my chicken houses is 1600' long and wide enough for tractor trailer trucks to pass each other when they are hauling chickens to the processing plant plus I mow 3/4 of a mile on the county road in front of my farm which means I pick up a lot of small gravel. When I am cutting very late it looks like fireworks with sparks shooting from under the deck which normal blades may cut 8 hrs. or so, the first time I changed the fusions was at 41 hrs. and they were still cutting good but could not keep up with the speed. I keep two sets of the fusions and now have 108 hrs. on the 66" XR-7 and have changed twice, I keep one set sharp and when I see a difference that bothers me I just change, those blades will amaze you how long they will cut.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You do not have a XR-7 deck, but it certainly would help if you did.
    A couple things you can do to update your deck, 1st, change to Fusion blades, 2nd, open up your discharge chute, 3rd, add the blade spacers with the Fusion blades.
    Double check your deck belt tension, engine RPM's and deck pitch.
    With all of these suggestions you will notice a huge difference in cut.
    E-mail me and I can get you the information on the Fusion blades and spacers and diagrams on opening up the discharge chute.

Pj