Im an Idiot...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Mar 17, 2005.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

I accidently forgot to put fuel stabilizer into the gas on my scag, and it has been sitting in my garage all winter. Any tips? Im assuming just let it all drain out real good?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have never put anything in my fuel to keep it over the winter and have had no problems. I guess its a good idea. But from my experience its not something you have to do. It may be different up north with the colder temps let me add

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

If you run into problems after adding new fuel, take the carb apart and clean her real good.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Last time we used the equipment was the first week of Jan. Did some work in the end of Feb. Did all the maintenance the last week of Jan and ran everything than. Nothing sat for more than 3 weeks.
    Solution to Your problem----Move South! :p

5. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

the fuel turning to gel is your biggest concern, if this happened clean carb thuroughly and ma ke sure needle valve is spottless, then you should be alright

6. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I did the same thing with a boat... left fuel in all winter without stabilizer. I bought a fuel additive which is supposed to act as a stabilizer and reconditioner call "Pri-G" from Boater's World. It is actually supposed to recondition old gas to an acceptable chemistry for use. I know it sounds too good to be true, but I put it in my boat (about 22 gal. of 6 month old gas), and it ran fine. That was two years ago and I never had any problems that whole summer. I use the stuff now as a stabilizer.

Do an internet search on Pri-g gasoline treatment and read the claims and testimonials.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Drain it, refill and start. I bet your ok. If not (varnish in the carb) clean the carb good and it will start up!

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I never used to put stabilizer in my fuel over the winter and I never had problems. I just made sure the tank was completely full so to limit the moisture from collecting in the tank.

I'd try to start it up first. The worst that could happen is the carburator is varnished up but my guess is that its fine. Just add some fresh gas.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Get yourself some Seafoam, and/or dry gas, and you're good to go.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Seafoam is great stuff. it also works well when the guys fail to put the choke button back in before doing the lawn. Helps to break up the carbon.