1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm back

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CAT powered, Mar 14, 2010.

1. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

Your sons truck looks really nice, hopefully I can get into something like that this summer.
  2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you're driving a Dakota these days, Junior. What happened to diesels and Chevy?

Money and driving as far as I am was the reasons.. I'll have a Chevy before long, dont worry about it.. :drinkup:

And I'd rather not learn about plows, what do I need that for? Its not like you or Kaiser are goin to hire me anytime soon!
  3. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

In case you decide to become a big boy and move up north. And I guess you'd rather use your sock than plow hard all night.

And you never know, Junior. I might hire you just for the entertainment value. Drop a few wrenches in the dye barrels and make you fish em out bare-hand. Get you a company truck... a Ford IDI 2wd XL with a bazillion miles sounds about right.
  4. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Oops, didn't see your post about the 2" screens, I bet you'll will be happy with the baffles and 1" screen. Are you going to sell mulch in large quantities to local markets (not exporting in live floor trailers though)? Try marketing it as "local" knowing people "know" it is their/local biomass making the mulch.
  5. CAT powered

I intend to sell some retail at the composting center I run and I intend to wholesale any additional mulch to the garden centers etc in my area.

And if I can find the work I'll be taking that unit on the road within a few hours of home but outside my own market area and I'll make mulch for other people. All I need to make that operation mobile is a good water source at my destination and I can handle it no problems.

Put my skidsteer on a trailer behind one truck along with a few skids of dye and then put the rotochopper behind a second truck and good to go.
  6. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Make mulch for me:) We log regulary at our place in S.NH and generate huge volumes of chips.
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

just be sure to wear a mask! I read an article not too long ago about those dyes causing respiratory problems/cancer for the operators.
  8. CAT powered

If you could get me a link or copy-paste or something so I could read that article I'd really appreciate it. Tough to know what to get in order to filter out the crap if I'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to be filtering.
  9. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

thats cool, it'd be a ride, a free one.. :cool2:

I am sure I could deal with your crap. You still got the adopt-a-redneck workin for ya?
  10. CAT powered

Fired him a long while ago. Was a year since his termination in August.

I found out the real reason why my contract that I hired him for in the first place got terminated. That moron was mouthing off to everyone else and they were just using any excuse to get him out of there.

Just wasn't working out. Eaiser without him around. Lot cheaper too.

My sons could both out-work him 10:1, complain less, and I don't have to pay them half as much as I was giving him.

And he was getting real hard on the equipment making stupid mistakes, backing into things, etc. When he started cussing at me was when I told him to go home and not bother to come back.