I'm buying a blade grinder/sharpner !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kickin Your Grass, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

2. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

without knowing much about either one i would go with the bradley...does anyone know what the difference between a blade sharpener and a bench grinder is? i know there is one but i don't know what it is...

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Just subscribing because I'm needing one too, and interested in seeing the opinions.

I know many will say go bigger, etc, but I just can't justify more expense.

4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the bradley recently, and like it, except the hole the grinder wheel goes down into is very wide and as you drag the blade across the hole and the end of the blade falls off the edge and into the hole it makes it hard to hold the blade steady while sharpening the last 2 inches or so of the blade. Was thinking of getting a piece of steel to weld to the sharpener that would extend the working table to hold the blade steady as I do that last part of the blade near the tip. Elsewise I am happy.

5. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Magnamatic. More money. I just think it's great.

6. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

I would suggest to got to the EXPO in Louisville if you can. There maybe you can compare and try an actual hands on. I know Magnamatic wiil be there and offering discounts at the show as well.

7. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

I have the Bradley and DO NOT like it for Walker blades cause the wheel pivots from one side unlike a RBG which lowers the wheel straight down. Because of this the pitch of the right blade(which turns the opposite way of the left one) has a different pitch cause it's sharpened from the right side. Does that make sense?

8. zeroturnman

zeroturnman LawnSite Member

I bought the Oregon 1/2 hp this spring with the adjustment knob so you can lower the grinding wheel as it wears. For the price it does a satifactory job. If I were to buy another one, I would get a 3/4 hp as you can pull down the 1/2hp.

9. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

So are you recommending a RBG over the other two?

10. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I have the RGB 3/4 hp and it is great. I would defiantly recommend it. It doesn't bog down when sharpening, and is much faster than using an angle grinder. I used to use an angle grinder. The one down side to it is, it doesn't do the Hustler mulching blades that well. I even purchased the mulch plate adapter, it is a joke. Don't waste your money.

Overall it is so much faster and better than using an angle grinder. I used to hate sharpening my blades. I started using the gator blades, much easier to sharpen and cut just as good as the Hustler mulching blades. Yes I mulch everything.

Get the 3/4 hp you won't be disappointed.

Dave...