1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm concerned about early meg-mow results

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WayneRI, Apr 26, 2004.

1. WayneRI

WayneRI LawnSite Member

Just got them. Sharpened the blades a little more and put them on. Mowed a lawn that was thick and getting tall. Mowed at 3 1/2" Uneven cut. Occasional strips of only partially cut grass.
    What's going on here?
  2. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

why was it necessary to sharpen them?
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Please Note*: I don't own megmos.
    However, one reason for strips of uncut grass is slight lagging of the blade caused by heavy grass and slowing down the head speed.
    In other words, when the blades lag back, the "overlap" from each blade disappears, leaving small strips of uncut grass.
    This has been stated by a few megmo owners when cutting heavy thick grass.
    Furthermore, I'm betting that the "overlap" of megmos is less than a stock blade because the megmos can move and wiggle, forcing them to have more clearance between each blade. In the case of my Hustlers blades, which are closer than than 1/16", I've had to grind the edge of some blades because they actually touch.

4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

plus what size motor do you have powering them?
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This was one of the problems I had with them. It happened although the engine was still taching over 3600 rpm. It seemed like the blade would tend to fold back in heavy grass.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have found that in heavy grass or very tall grass its better to use double highs. The megs will fold back in the very thick stuff.
    If you try them in wet you will like them alot better. I have also found them great for leaves and heat stressed grass.
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I did say that, didn't I????:eek:
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yeah in a way;) I do think that i'm alot better off having the megs when i use them then i ever was with out them. I have narrowed it down to three sets of different blades and i can finally say i can handle most everything that mother nature can dish out!!
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'll stick with using the solid foil high-lifts, the mulching blades with them, or the gators, depending on the conditions and time of year. Solid, narrow, sharpened strips of steel - the only way to go. No need to try to re-invent the wheel.
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

No problem w/the Megs yet....they've blown through everything & Sucked & Chopped up leaves Like a Champ!

Haven't had any Really Wet Weather yet though.