1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm concidering getting a TT HP 48 or 52

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rockstate, Nov 18, 2003.

1. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

What do you think of the TT, good, bad points? I have heard these are the best walk-behinds available, what are your thoughts?
  2. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Rock: I have a '03 48" TTHP. While I don't have much exposure to other walkbehinds, I really like this machine. My preference is for the 48" deck when doing residential. With the mulch kit it grinds leaves to bits, will do slopes that I'm uncomfortable doing with the Lazer, and is easy to start (mine is a pull start). I don't know that there are any real problems that are unique to the TTHP. As for being the best, I don't honestly know. That may depend more on individual needs and what is best for me may not fit your applications. I do feel it is among the best choices in walkbehinds, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased one!
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I'll throw a couple of things out here for you to chew on a little bit.

Some unique features to the Turf Tracer HP are the PTO system (blade brake/clutch system without the use of an electric PTO), ECS controls and the Exmark quality of cut and blade tips speed.

Yes there are other hydros on the market; some with floating deck some with out. Some with tracking adjustment (although most are more complicated than ours) some with large drive tires and a couple may even have the semi-pneumatic tires that we helped bring into the industry.

What they won't have is the unique features that I mentioned earlier and they won't have fully welded seams on the mower deck. They also won't have the pride and craftsmanship that is so wide spread in our manufacturing. There's a reason so many Turf Tracers are in use to day. Take the time to stop by an Exmark dealer to demo one if you get a chance. I have every confidence you'll like what you see.

If you have any questions or are not sure where you nearest dealer is give me a call at 1-800-667-5296 or shoot me an e-mail to terry.eckert@exmark.com

4. Jet Mech

Jet Mech LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I purchased a TT HP 48" 17 hp. Kawasaki in 1999. I have been very pleased with it's overall performance and reliability. The manuverability and trailering of the 48" TT HP is great! Handles like a sports car compared with longer framed walk behind mowers. The floating deck gives a flawless cut, even in those most irregular areas. My TT HP 48" currently has only 540 hrs. on it, but based off of it's reliability and strength, I would imagine that it will be with me for some time to come. I would give this mower a great review, just buy the deck size that fits your needs.
  5. rockstate

Terry, thanks a lot and i just emailed you but what is a tracking adjustment?
  6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The tracking adjustment helps ensure that the mower drives straight and doesn't pull from one side to the other when youÂ’re making your passes.

Most often tracking issues are caused by the drive tires. As an example a slow leak will cause one tire to be slightly smaller than the other. This cause the mower to pull to the small tire's side when mowing in a straight line. The tracking adjustment allows you to compensate for this with the turn of a knob rather than fighting with the mower all day to make nice straight lines in the lawn.

It's pretty cool actually. Stop by one of the dealers I sent you and have them give you a quick walk through on the mower. It'll make a lot more sense after you've driven it for a few minutes.

7. rockstate

Terry, thanks a lot I plan on stopping at the dealer in the next few weeks.
  8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We purchased a new 2003 tthp 48'' wb this year , and have nothing but praise for their equipment. The quality of cut, durability, and just outright good performance has convinced me that we will probably purchase another this coming year. Ecs took a little getting used to, could'nt imagine being without it now.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark 36" Viking, 15hp Kohler. It has been in service for seven seasons (700-900 hrs per season). Two years ago, the Kohler was replaced with an identical engine (old one had about 3000 hrs - using oil). I have replace the spindle bearings a couple of times (original greasable ones lasted five seasons, the nongreasable ones 1 1/2 seasons). It has been a great machine -- my first and only w/b. I didn't know what I was buying when I bought it, but, in hindsight, was an excellent choice. I did use a single-wheel Velke, until this year. I now use a BullRider, two-wheeled sulky (great investment, paid for itself within the first month).

The lawns I mow are 10K sq ft to 1.8 acres, average about 25K sq ft of turf. I also use a Toro ProLine hand mower. I work solo, but my wife works with me much of the time (Toro mower only). This past season, we mowed 1,215 lawns.

I have several places where a 48" mower would work, but also have several properties with gated back yards. I can get my 36" mower through those gates, but not a 42" machine. Some of them are good accounts.

What to do? I feel my 36" machine, seven years old, is in pretty good shape. The most vulnerable parts are the hydro pumps and wheel motors. I know I can replace the engine, replace spindle bearings, and other parts easily. The pumps and wheel motors are big ticket items (about $300 each, I think).

I could buy a new 48" mower (Viking or TTHP). This would improve efficiency on some of the properties. The old 36" would still be needed on the gated properties. I have a 6.5X12 open trailer, but probably too small for two Exmark mowers, Toro and LB (older one as a second mower for some small properties), and wheeled blower (in the Fall). I reserve the front four feet of the trailer for hauling clipping debris. My F250 has a cap -- all my hand tools, trimmers, blower, fuel, etc is secure and under cover. In other words, I probably would need to get a new trailer, IF I bought a new 48" mower.

A new mower would be the primary "open area" mower, reserving the old 36" for smaller places, gated yards. This would mean the 36" would generate small service hours, thus getting more time out of the pumps and wheel motors. Both can be outfitted with the BullRider hitch, so the sulky could be switched.

Why would I consider a Turf Tracer, not another fixed deck Viking? Anybody have any experience with both? I'm picky about quality of work. I really like the quality of cutting on my existing 36" mower, and would be very displeased if I gave up quality for a TTHP.

Anybody with suggestions, comments, ideas?

One more point -- I'm 62, and any new mower will probably survive my physical ability to mower for another 10 years! Why would a 62 year old man invest in a new mower???

Oh yes -- one other consideration. Add a 36" Wright Stander as the only mower to use.

Thanks for any input.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Great post Roger, I love reading your line!
    We are similar using a 36" and sulky. You are asking the same question that I having in my mind cause eXmark 36" fixed deck really rocks when it comes to cut grass as you already have plenty of experience. Doing residentials a 36" is jack of all trade you can't live without it. period. (I have a friend who use 48" Stander trying to do it all but he has to carry a 21er to do gated yards, and he swears most of the time walking behind that 21 inside gates) I know a 48 TTHP is a cut above but on occasion and many of them you have to carry that 36" to finish work almost every day of week, so it is a dilemma, worth putting money for that 48" and another bigger trailer?
    Please let us know what is your choice, as for me, I am a 36er for a long long time.

best regards,