I'm confused

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hawkeye, Mar 4, 2008.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

I have been lurking around this site for awhile and I need opinions. Here's my problem. I am currently in the rental property business and would like to start mowing lawns as well because I have a flexible schedule. I plan on advertising on paper and on my truck as well. Currently I have a few accounts and obviously I would like to increase clients. The current accounts I have are a half acre or less and I strictly want to target residential or maybe small commercial accounts. My question is what should I start with a ztr or walkbehind and what size is best. I really don't know what my gate dilema is because I obviously dont have the clients yet. Is it smart to spend 7k on a ztr or 4k on a walkbehind. I can tell you this much if I do have multiple accounts that are 3/4 to 1 acre I will opt for the ztr- but I just don't know what my potential clients lawn size will be. thanks for you're suggestions!
  2. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

go with a 52" or 60" ztr depending on trailer with a 36" walk behind
  3. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I don't think you can disreguard a 21" at all

and that = a Toro in MHO*trucewhiteflag*
  4. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

ya i agree the 21" for a trim mower:)
  5. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

Since you don't know what you might run into client-wise, I'd go with a 36" walk behind so you can go through gates if you have to. You can mow the big ones with that too until you get a better idea of what your needs are. Maybe add the ztr if you find that you are piling up larger accounts. I started with a 36" wb and ended up adding a ztr almost immediately. If you have to choose one machine to start with though, go with the walk behind and see if you have the business to support the ztr later.
  6. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Why don't you get the customers first then decide what mower to go with. That would seem to be the logical way to do it.
  7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

you got to have a 48'' walk behind
  8. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

Hey RGM, why the 48"? I have one and find that I use the 36" more because of gates and my Zs more because if I can fit a bigger mower into a yard, I'd rather use the Z for speed. I just don't get much use from my 48". I was curious what you like most about it.
  9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest a walk behind, you are just starting out. I would hate to have you spend 8k on a ztr when you decide a year or two down the road to not mow anymore. I would suggest going with a 21'' mower and a 36'' mower. If you really want to you could spend a little more money and get a 36'' stand on mower.
  10. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

I agree 100% if ur not using the 36" for gates im on my ztr