I'm considering a Scag 61 21h... any input?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bad_chad48, Jan 24, 2002.

1. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

I am considering to buy a Scag 61 inch cut mower. Do you all have any input on this mower. How long do they last? what is their major downfalls? How do they compare to other mowers?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

walkbehind, ztr? engine? be more specific
  3. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

as you were.. it is a 22HP Turf Tiger...
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think that an even more appropriate question than what brand is what are your terrain and lot sizes consisting of??? If you are cutting mostly smaller lawns under 8m/sf than this is not a good choice.

If you are looking to target one or two major accounts than this still would not be a good choice. My personal belief is that it is never a good idea to buy equipment for a specific account(s).

I would base my decision based on what 90% of your clientel are or are expected to be if you are putting together a business plan.

Just my .02
  6. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

I tried a scag after owning exmarks. I would not buy one , they do have better spindles than exmark ,greasable tapered roller bearings in the spindles ,gotta like that!
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd take sealed, NON greasable, ball bearing spindles before I'd take the SCAG spindle. Maintenance time savings are big with NON greasable spindles.

Nothing really wrong with SCAG's overall though, they have taken a beating in this forum. Maybe for a reason :confused:
  8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Iown a 1999 Scag STHM or Three wheel it fits under trees, look at a current one with the Advantage deck. I modified mine with
    a Enginaire precleaner, a larger Kohler Muffler, I added baffles to the deck cuts 100% better. I can change the weight dist by lifting the deck. Cannot wheely you ride in back of mower not on top.
    Drives with a foot pedal not joy sticks.
  9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bad_Chad
    I curently have a 52inch 23hp Kaw Turf Tiger. Great machine so far, have had it now for a year and love its speed along with the cut. Though on certain types of grasses it stripes funny, but on most of the lawns i do the stripes look great. The durablility of the machine is great i think. About the engine choice of the Turf Tiger, i talked to someone witha 61inch Turf Tiger 22hp Kaw and they wish they had the bigger motor. He bags the clippings so my guess is thats where the hp goes too alot. But if you dont bag i dont think there should be a problem with that motor on that Turf Tiger, though i think you will wish you had the bigger mower in thick tall grass.
    Otherwise its a great heavy duty mower, shaft driven deck, and i think the newer Turf Tiger models have better pumps than the older ones, but that can all be debated.
  10. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

Two Words--- Hydro Problems

Been there done that
    DC Here I come!