1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm convinced most people don't care as long as the grass gets cut!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, May 17, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

This has happened to me on several lawns this season. I have a large home with one acre lawn sloping down away from home in front. I take my time and put nice checkerboard stripes on it (looks good if I do say so myself). The homeowners come home as I'm loading up and I ask them how it looks they say okay they guess. I ask them how they like the stripes (only ones in neighborhood) the say hugh, I say the stripes on your yard down there, looking down the hill at them. They have had the stripes for a month now and hadn't even noticed. The driveway splits the yard so its impossible to miss.

I have come to the opinion that most people could care less about their lawn, all they want is it not to get overgrown. I'm considering switching back to my two wheel from my proslide and cut my mowing time in half on some of these yards and not worry about laying nice stripes on them.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same thing happen back in 1999. I now put the stripes down to satisfy me and me alone.
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I think it really depends on the status of the client - the area.

I think in general, most people just want on-time, regular service every week. And as long as you do at least as good as they would have done themselves, they are happy.

That being said, I do have a decent amount (albeit a minority) who are fairly picky and always want everything PER-FECT! If a few little weeds aren't pulled or one little blade isn't cut, we'll hear about it from them. But these tend to be more the uppity rich people. Not that all rich people are uppity and picky. But some are.

Still, I think in general you are right. Most peolpe don't care nearly as much as we think they do. I have dozens of clients I haven't heard from for several years. They never call. They never complain. They always pay on time. Those are the ones I treasure the most.
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i lay nice stripes anyway.

5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Maybe just ask them if they like baseball when you talk to them. If they do then take the time and let them feel like they are coming home to their own ball field.
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My widow women clients love to have their yard striped. Takes me a tad longer, but I am more satisfied with the results.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have noticed that people really don't care if you trim or not.
  8. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I've had one client ask if the grass had a disease because the grass had a alternating solid light and dark strips in the grass, and then said that they preferred that I just do a perimeter cut
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Most customers care only that the lawn was cut on their scheduled day & that the prop. looks neat. Once you understand this & quit wasting time & energy trying to make every lawn perfect you can start making real $$$.
  10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i hear if you just drive over the lawn and dont een engage your blades they are happy too!

I dont know about not trimming