I'm debating between gravely 252z & hustler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Jul 18, 2005.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting a lawn service and I'm debating between a Gravely 252z & Hustler Super z. Can someone give me some input on the pros and cons of these mowers from their experience?

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

This is like comparing apples to lima beans. The Gravely isn't half the machine the Hustler is. You really need to demo both units and find out for yourself.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer, and I will tell you that both are very good machines. You need to try to get a demo on both machines you are interested in , so you can compare the cut, handling, and features of the machines. Many here on this forum are big supporters of Hustler, so you will get a lot of Hustler hype, but you need to decide for your self. You will not go wrong with either brand of machine. Make sure you have good dealer support for whatever you buy, as any machine will have a problem at some point.

4. beaver29

What makes the Hustler that much better than the gravely? I need some reasons.

5. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm mowing with Gravely WB and Gravely 260Z. I am very happy with the cut / quality of the machines.

I have retired my Dixie!

6. beaver29

Comparing at my local dealer a Hustler Super Z vs. Gravely 252Z w/ same size deck and motor the Super Z is a $1,000 more. How come their is so much of a price difference between the two. Is the Super Z that much better?

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Again, as a Gravely dealer, I do not feel that the Hustler is a better machine, that is one reason I do not sell them. They are a very nice machine, but in my opinion, not noticibly better than Gravely. Gravely has a very good price structure for all their commercial machines. You really get a lot for your money with Gravely. Gravely was building good stout machines 30 years before Hustler built their first mower. They know how to build machines that last.

8. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Ask any of the people at Southland Engine and they will explain the difference to you. I can tell you that a lot of the commercial people in your area are using the Hustler Super Z. Lynn has a Super Z demo at his store. If not I will bring you one myself. Just email me at ztr@cox.net. As far as dealer support, you have one of the best in the country.
    Rusty

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

They are both good mowers, but the SuperZ is a more refined unit. It has a lower center of gravity which will help you stay on slopes and berms better (and out of retention ponds!). I bought the SuperZ, but you should put yourself in the seat of both and cut some grass - your choice may be different !

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hustler Super Z hands down. Speed, cut, hill-handling, support, it is same league like Toro/eXmark, Kubota and Scag.
    Gravely is good but not good enough to win or even gain market except their funky 34z. I have never seen Gravely mower handling big acreage accounts in my areas, it takes all day to do the areas, those huge accounts are cut by Super Z and Kubota ZD, it must have reasons.