1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm demoing an exmark tomorrow...any thing I should be wary of?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer is letting me put a whopping 2 hours on their demo tomorrow. It's a lazer hp, 23 kaw. 52" with an ultra vac. Is there anything I should know about the controls of this beast b4 I go to it? Or is everything pretty simple? I'm used to my 50" Dixons, and that exmark looks like a sherman tank in comparison.

Are the steering lever dampeners adjustable? I drove it around the lot yesterday and they seemed really stiff, can I adjust that?

The throttle cable is allready wanting to slip back to low idle....the salesman is not going to be there when I pick it up, is that an easy adjustment? I don't want to have to be pushing on it all the time.

Did i mention the dealer is not too good, if I do buy one I'm going to deal with a different dealer, this guy has been pushing me to demo his, so I thought what the heck...

I know this is kinda late, but I just got done cutting for today. Thanks for your input!
  2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure its right before you take off with it ,if something doesn't seem right bring it to their attention,The steering may be stiff if it is cold.You will love the ultra-vac,just remember it hanging out there a little further than your use too,And watch out for downguy cables from tele-poles I took a sharp turn under one the other day not relizing the bagger hood was caught as the front end started raising up,No damage done
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

get on a nice steep hill an cut cross ways an tell me if the front end wants to fall down the hill . !!!
  4. Troy Landry

Troy Landry LawnSite Member

Make Sure you are getting a 2003 and not a left over from last year. If its a left over you will save some bucks. This happend to me.
  5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

2 hours thats it?? i got one for a whole day.i think i put 12 hours on the thing before i returned it the next day.tell them you want it longer because by the time you pick it up and go to where your going to use it your first hour is up.i did 5 or 6 lawns before i gave it back.3 weeks later i bought one with 1 hour on it lol
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree! 2 hours on a machine that can't even hold the throttle up? I mean like "Whoopie"! That's not all that impressive. If you're going to take a demo out, atleast take it out to TRY it! 2 hours isn't about anything! TELL this dealer that! That's hardly worth the EFFort!
  7. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Try not to look like you like too much. The price might go up. lol
    Just be sure to warm it up good. Mine is great wouldnt trade it for anything but its like me, Its a little stiff when cold and takes a few mins to warm up.lol
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well, been there done that....was not at all impressed! The throttle worked fine, and the cut was good, but not really that much better than my 50" dixon. I used it for about 3 hours on 3 lawns in a high-end golf course community. Their lawns are large and lush. The first one went good, the controls being stiff took some getting used to but i was zipping along great. The next 2 are a different story. The grass had a weeks growth, so i was taking off about 4" cutting at 2.75"( which is 2.5" on my dixon) The lush growth was too much for the boot between the deck and the blower, it clogged about 30 times in 2 hours. i kept the speed down to a crawl and it still wanted to clog sometimes. The machine had standard lift blades...should it have hi-lifts for bagging??? It seems it was having the biggest problems just getting the grass into the blower itself.
    I did the side-by-side test btw. the exmark and my dixon....the cut was virtually the same, plus the dixon dosn't clog all the time. Well, that saved me $9,000.00..lol
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the Dixon have a bagging unit on it as did the eXmark in the side by side test?

If so, what type?
  10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah that is true about the vac system exmark has.all depends on what your cutting.i had mine clog up a few times.but my grass here maybe grows one inch per week so your not cutting much.i found by adjusting the carb a bit it runs better with the bagger.my exmark dealer offers what he calls kick up service.they do something to make the rpms higher.its a free service.it works better but last week with wet leaves it clogged quite a bit