1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm demoing, which Exmark ztr is best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

A local dealer (which I have never used) dropped off a 23hp Kohler 60" Lazer Z tonight. I have not had a chance to drive it yet (other then into my garage). It was dark when the dealer dropped it off (turns out one of their guys lives behind me and he just waited to bring it home with him).

What Exmark ZTR are you guys using? I told the guy that if I buy one, I would want the 27hp for sure. Unless I go with a 52" deck. This is why I was wondering what everyone was using. If I was to get a 52", I think I would like the lower profile of the Lazer HP. I have a 52" Hustler Z now and I don't care for the cut. I like everything else about the Hustler. I just sold my Dixie Chopper and it was a 60" cut and I really liked the cut, but hated everything else about that mower.

I guess what I really need in a mower is a low profile mower that has dampened steering and cuts good. I can live with a 52" or a 60". Most of my lawns are 10k +-. I do have a few that are 1/2 to 1 acre so either size would fit my needs.

Should I be looking at the Lazer HP?
  2. Soupy

I forgot to add that the guy delivering it said that the 23hp Lazer Z 60" would be about $7700 for the 23hp and $8400 for the 27hp. He said that he just got through talking to his Exmark rep and prices will be about $200 more next year.

Are these good prices?
  3. Soupy

I got a chance to use the mower. After I finish doing my invoices for the month, I will come back and give my opinions.

Next week I will be demoing the Lazer HP too. But I really wanted you Exmark guys to tell me which mower I should be requesting? I don't want to miss out on their best offering, but then again, I don't care to spend the money for a liquid cool or EFI.

Did anything I have said so far make sense? :dizzy:
  4. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I've got 4 of the 27 hp liquid cooled and 2 of the 25 hp kohler air cooled. All lazer Z's. My son likes the ac better, lighter weight machine. I like the lc better, much quieter engine noise and not as hot on your back. Both cut well, I wouldn't recommend the fuel injected, the brain box goes haywire if you get it wet and is never the same (unless they moved it to a protected spot). I would never get the 23 hp on a 60" deck. I think the mowers a great machine, but the dealer will make or break it. The dealer I deal with always has a loaner, even if they had to give me a brand new machine, if I had to take one in for service.
    Soupy likes this.
  5. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 LawnSite Member

I have used a exmark 25 hp kohler 60 inch cut demo from my local dealer. They leave an excellent cut,machines are built very well, but they are not near as fast as my Kubota zd21..
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are looking at late models, like I am... you can only get the Lazer Z 52" w/27 Kohler... Have you looked at it v/s the HP??? I have, but it's a late model, so it's a Lazer Z 52" w/ 20 Kohler... I mulch, so I'm a little afraid of the 20hp... likewise I'd be a little afraid of the Lazer Z 60" w/23 Kohler.

As far as the 52" HP goes, I demoed one long ago... I liked the lower feel, but I didn't care for the offset deck much... just never have liked the offset setup... I guess because I mulch and I'm accustomed to having trim ability on both sides of the deck... and I think it apprears to be built to mow in circles.

Please tell me.... what do you think of the 25/60 Lazer Z's? They are the Kolhers right? That's all my dealer has in 60" Lazer Z's... late model 25 hp... Do they have plenty of power?????
  7. Soupy

Did you get yours from the dealer in Waterloo? That is who I am talking too.

Envy, I'm only looking at 2004 models. Exmark no longer carries the 25hp Kohler on any of their mowers. The 52" Lazer HP comes with a 23hp and you have your choice of Kohler or Kawi. I have not looked at the 52" Lazer Z. I just figured if I went with a 52" deck, I would go for the lower center of gravity and get the Lazer HP. I am going to demo the HP next Thursday and Friday.

I will be back in a minute to voice my opinions of the demo I had today with the Lazer Z 23/60.
  8. Soupy

First I will list the things I liked about the Lazer Z, then the dislikes.

I liked the quality of cut even though the blades were dull and I was using the 23hp 60". I liked the contour of the seat, and also liked the deck lift. The deck had plenty of trim to it.

The dislikes I had with the mower were not bad enough to deter me from buying one. But I did not like the parking brake set up. I definitely didn't like the roll bar (but that can be fixed easily). The deck seemed to ride low to the ground, but a simple adjustment to the scalp wheels might have fixed this. I just noticed the deck was hitting the ground more then my Hustler or Dixie Chopper did. I was cutting at 3" most of the day, but did cut one lawn at 2 1/2". The steering was just a little jerky, but it's something I could live with. It wasn't as bad as My DC, but my Hustler is a lot smoother.

The overall feel of the machine was not as smooth as my Hustler, but the cut quality made up for it. I love everything about my Hustler Z except for the cut. If I could have Exmarks cut quality on my Hustler, I would be in heaven. I really need to wait and see if the Lazer HP will provide what i'm looking for. But if I did have to choose between my Hustler and the Lazer Z. I would pick the Lazer Z. Quality of cut is just more important then the smoothness of my Hustler.

I know that i'm comparing a lower profile Hustler Z to a full size Lazer Z. This is why it is important for me to demo the Lazer HP, and also demo a Hustler Super Z. To be honest, I have always felt that there was just something wrong with the deck on my Hustler. So I need to do some more research.
  9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I can't compare Exmark to any other brand but I have a 2003 23 Kaw/52 HP and 2004 28EFI/60. The HP is a much better handling machine in tight, uneven or hilly areas and I find it to be much smoother than the 60" (it could be that it is worn in more though). The 60 is incredible in larger open areas. We bag 100% of the time and the larger Ultra Vac on the full size is much better, much less clogging in wet weather. Two weeks ago we got stuck cutting in the wettest day in September in history, we received 4" of rain and the EFI had no problems. We weren't cutting in standing water but it was wet enough that we had rooster tails coming from the mowers. The EFI also uses a noticeable amount less of fuel.
    Operator comfort - Lazer
    Handling - HP
    Cut - Lazer (especially thick wet grass)
    UltraVac - Lazer

Soupy likes this.
  10. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

Power has never been a problem and the 25 hp Kohler hasn't given us any trouble in 3 years. What my son doesn't like about the 27's is the 150 lbs of weight they hang on the front wheel to keep the front end on the ground. I had to take mine of (all of the other 27's still have the weights on) becaus eI would get stuck in the spring only because the weight would push the front wheels into the mud and the rear wheels couldn't push them. It bob up at times and I have to be real careful going up a steep hill forward, but it does make the machine more nimble. I bought 5 of the six from Waterloo and 1 used one from Erb's. Went in one day to get some oil, saw an exmark 25/60 with a bagger on it only 280 hours, asked about it just to be nosy, liked the price and bought it. Just when I said I'd take it another salesman came up and said he had a buyer for it, was rather upset when I got it. Has been a good machine.