I'm Done!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Just finished my last cleanup and last 3 mowings yesterday. That wraps up a great first year for us. Pretty bummed about it coming to an end as I enjoyed it even more then I thought I would. Sure, you have a day or two that you wish would end quickly, but I honestly can say I enjoyed the lawn business more then any other job I've ever had.

I posted a while back a thank you to the guys that helped make our first year a success, and I'd like to just mention it again. So Thanks!!!

Can't wait for next season to begin as we're going to try make it a full time operation. For now I'll be adding snowplowing to our services and looking forward to our first measureable snowfall. Anyway, thanks again guys for all your help, advice, & opinions. That's a wrap! :drinkup:

Buck

CamLand and geogunn like this.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Congrad's Buck on the first year! Hope next year is even better for you and all of us!

I still have probably 2-4 weeks left of mowing depending on the weather as it is still in the 50's here for the most part at the coolest part of the evenings. As a matter of fact I have about 8 to knock out today that I'll be starting in few minutes.

3. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We have 3 more weeks & we are done & no snow to plow. Hard to believe only 3 weeks difference in Dallas & your area.

Good luck nest year, it is a great business!
    MJ

4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Up North,

How about some details? How many clients did you end the year with? What's the average lawn go for up there?

I'm pretty much committed to starting up next year, and I figure if you can be successful in Bemidji, MN, I can be successful here.

Thanks for the encouragement,
    Eric

5. Up North

from MN

Eric, are you saying that us in Bemidji are idiots or country hicks or something?? Just kidding, I think I know what you mean, small town and being able to make an LCO business work.

We started out mowing 2 accounts the first week or two, by the beginning of June we had 12 commercial accounts and 1 residential. Mostly by word of mouth. Anyway, at that point my John Deere L120 wasn't going to cut it for us so we upgraded to a 52" Snapper Z, as well as the blower, trimmer, etc.

As of right now, we still have all the accounts but one as it is a rental unit and the college kids moved back in and decided to do the lawn themselves to save on beer money. I have talked with all of our accounts and they are staying on with us for next year. Average lawn, probably in the $45-50 area. My average was $65, smallest was a 15 minute job at $25 and largest was a townhome complex that took 2 hours at $175. I had a couple jobs that I underbid about $5-10 on, will have to guard against that for next season. Live and learn.

Eric, you should be able to do just fine down there. Your season will be longer then mine so that'll help. Just make sure you do quality work at a fair price, and pay attention to details. Use common sense and communication is key with customers, talk to them when you have the chance. I know some view that as wasted time, and yes it can be. But in the long run I think it's a benefit to both you and the customer, you can get a feel for how they view your work, and other things. Also, you have a great bunch of guys here on Lawnsite.com, very helpful, tons of experience, and willing to help. All they ask for in return is some respect. They've got mine. Good luck.

Buck

6. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Buck,

LOL, no I was referring to the sparse population! But now that you bring it up, you probably do have your share of hicks and hayseeds up there. I'm kinda familiar with the region, my dad immigrated from Finland and grew up in Mountain Iron (near Virginia), and I've still got aunts/uncles/cousins in the Cook and Angora areas.

We've got our share of stumpjumpers down here too :help: , so don't take it too hard.

Give my regards to Mr. Bunyan and St. Urho.

Eric

7. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

Congrats Up North on a successful first year. I too am finishing up my first year in business. Had 14 accounts this year, wish I had more. Most are $20, 30 minute jobs. No commercial accounts this year, but I will be hitting the pavement so to speak this winter around the area trying to drum up commercial business. Still got about a weeks worth of mows left and of course leaf jobs until mid-November here. Need about 35-45 more accounts next year, hopefully I can land them. But the market in my small area is so saturated with LCOs it is driving me nuts. I sure do wish I had started in 1997 when I finished high school like I planned on doing but it was off to college for me and 9/11 killed the job market so here I am today, 7 years late and 15 LCOs in my way. Would have been me and 3 other guys back in 1997 and I would be a whole lot richer today. ;)

8. Up North

from MN

Yeah, Eric we certainly have our share up here. Beautiful area though, we just moved back a little over a year ago from living in the Twin Cities for 15 years...couldn't wait to get back here. The old saying is true, "you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy". I'd much rather be considered a country hick over a city slicker any day.

Anyway, Paul & Babe say "hi" and wish you luck in the business.

Davis,
    Thats kind of where we are too. Looking to add 25+ or so accounts maybe. Since most of our work around here is done on bigger yards it takes a solo guy like me longer to complete them. Not sure if I could handle more then 50 accounts, but I'd sure give it a try. Good luck, and it looks like we'll be trying to grow up together. Let me know if you run into something good that works for you and I'll do the same...just stay out my territory!!!! :D :D

Buck

9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Buck,what can i say but congrats.Getting past your first year is a huge step and it seems like you have your head on straight to continue in the business for many more years...

Now go get that 10 pointer...

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Good job Buck, you must be up north. We have maybe 1 more mowing and then three more weeks of leafs. Any snow yet?