I'm Down Buzz, Should I buy New or Repair

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, May 6, 2003.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: I have a Scag SSZ 52" with about 1300 hours. I just broke down tonight, hydraulic motor I thinks. Probably $200 or so. I've been thinking about a new Exmark. I'll get the Scag fixed regardless, but at what point do you say enough is enough. I put about $1000 in reapirs to the Scag last year, which was the mower's 5th, I think.

What can I expect to pay in repairs on a new Ex? Any opinions.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Even though 1300 hours isn't a huge amount, I would be looking at a new mower and using the Scag for a backup. I am a huge believer in maintaining your own backup equipment. You can't count on a dealer to always have one to give you.

Any new mower, regardless of brand, should run without much costs for the first few years. You will probably like the eXmark.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Fix the scag and use it as a backup. I believe it's better to buy new equipment when you get the feeling your old stuff is about to go, rather than incur the cost of the repairs. As a backup, even a pretty old piece of gear can still be very usefull. But if it dies completely, it may not be useable or saleable at all for anything but parts.

I'm a big believer in owning backups. You can repair your front line gear yourself or get them fixed at your leisure, rather than disrupting your schedule to rush to the dealer and beg for help. Since you have backups, you're in no rush and can wait for parts to be shipped to you and fix the equipment on a rainy day or whenever you find time.

4. $400 plus labor is more like it, but would make a great back-up mower.

I would say you will like the newness of a newer model machine.

If you wan to sell the Scag, heard BHB is looking.

5. A $ 1000 in the last year and its broke again with 1300 hours on it. Go get a exmark or hustler and you will be worry free for the next three years.If I was you I would fix the scag as cheap as possible because it sounds to me its a money pit now.