I'm Fed Up! I need advice!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coyotekid, Jun 22, 2005.

1. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

Alright, here's the skinny: My best customer has a giant lawn which is very high quality for our dry climate. It's about 6 acres of just lawn, and they insist that the clippings be bagged.

My current mower is a Grasshopper 928 diesel. I like the mower, but the bagging system is absolutely horrible. It plugs constantly, and there is no mechanical problem--it's just poorly designed.

Who makes a really good bagging system? Are the Gravely mowers with baggers working well? I'm seriously considering buying one because their design looks way better to me, and they're one of only a few mowers that dealers near me handle.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

6 acres? Bagging? There is no bagging system in the WORLD that would make this worth while. I would say good bye...that is ludicrous. Just ask themmmThey don't bag Wrigley Field or Yankee Stadium, and they SURE dont bag golf courses!

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

If they are willing to shell out the cash to have six acres bagged, why not just try to advise them of the benefits of discharging and sell them on a twice a week cutting schedule. This should solve any unslightly clipping issues and still be a lot cheaper for them then to bag six acres.

4. JON K

JON K LawnSite Member

That is a lot to bag. Do you haul the clippings off or dump on site. For a bagging mower take a look at the Walker (http://www.walkermowers.com/)I have been impressed with mine.

5. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

Buy a mower to take care of that 1 yard??.. u crazy.. be a man.. your are your own boss.. you tell them what goes on. If they don't like it.. get outa der.

6. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

Well this would be my new main mower...see my post about my Kubota diesel engine being ready to explode.

I'm all ears on the bagging/no bagging debate. It sounds like few of you guys bag...so how do you not make "windrows" that look like a swather was used to cut the grass?

Do all you guys use special mulching kits?

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I'll second that. And think of how much quicker it would be. Nothing like putting Nitrogen back where it belongs!

8. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I had a lawn that was 4 acres I bagged. Dropped the clippings on sight. It took like 3.5 man hours to do the whole thing. I think it was like 180 per cut. I do use a walker though.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Out of 57 accounts I bag 2 and one is around 2000 sq. feet (empty the bag 2 times), the other is less than 5k (empty bag 4 times). And really I don't bag but I get 1 or 2 no matter what, it appears.
    But no way in hell really I don't bag unless I get suckered into it in a real nice way and u better be one cool mofo, too.

No hell no I wouldn't bag no 6 acres, I've done been through that comedy one too many times, I'd rather lose the customer because there isn't a bagging system in the world can handle that where I'm happy with it. And NO I would NEVER buy a machine for just 1 yard, either.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well it just sounds to me like your mower is a Super-recycler model like mine that was never designed for bagging (i.e.: It does NOT bag!). I fixed the problem on one my old mowers by completely removing the hardware that made it possible to even attach the bag and then I played the game of 'it wasn't designed for a bag' which works MOST everytime. The new Wb, of course, is even better than the old one as it was specifically made for me with extra recycling hardware under the deck as a request modification they do if you ask for it. Yeah, you know, it doesn't bag!

But... Your best customer? I dno, must be worth a LOT of money? I mean, 6 acres bagged? 400-600 dollars per cut or so, right? Bagging is double price, is it not? Yes, I think so. Well, does it take 2x as long? If it does, then it's double price. Is it a real pita? Yeah, well then maybe that warrants the 'bs' fee, in this case, about $5 every time you gotta empty the bag.
    Seriously, if you gotta put up with the bs, then you need to get paid for it.