I'm getting 2 new.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl stick edgers.

NOT the 4 mix, I'm gettin two FS-85 stick edgers.

I've had it with my Echo stick edger. It's 5 seasons old and has had it.

That is all.......

2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a new Redmax BCA2500s or somethinganother straight shaft sticker edger to replace my 5 season old Maryuama I was using before.

3. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I bought a redmax HEZ2500S two weeks ago and I'm really happy with it. Seems to be built strong and unlike the Stihl the lower wheel isn't plastic, I think its a much better edger. Good luck with the new toys!, always nice to get new stuff.

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys use stick edgers on a regular basis? I have never used one. Always string trim to edge.

5. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Once you get it down you'll never string edge again, there is no comparison and it leaves a nice straight line, so long as the edge your working with is straight!

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Isnt it more work though? Having to walk back to the truck to get your string trimmer to do the beds, fencelines and trees?

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I use the stick edgers to make the trench in the Spring, then I maintain it with a string trimmer.

I'll use the stick edger again on a monthly basis if necessary.

Of course I have to use them on all new accounts......

8. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I guess it is, after cutting I trim all boarders and beds but always make an extra trip to get the stick edger for the sidewalks. Its not the extra trip that I mind its having to unlock and lock the trimmer rack back up. I don't trust anybody!!!!

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I just stopped at the local Stihl dealer today to look at one, but the don't carry them anymore. All they have is the new 4 mix model.

What are you paying for yours?

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the chance to pick up a Deere edger with a 4hp Briggs for $200 (which I thought was a little steep). I'd rather use one of those larger edgers knowing it will last longer and be able to handle tougher types of grass and soil. Those little Briggs will run forever if you treat them right.