1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm glad I got out of the "LAWN GAME"!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KINGjosh, Jun 9, 2008.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Its been about a year and a half out of it for me, and I havent regreted it one bit. After doing it for about 6 years straight, I felt I needed a more stable outlook for the future. Having no benifets really sucked, not having one vacation in those 6 years really sucked, and all those cheap picky PITAS really sucked. As I was cuting lawns, I often wonderd what the future held.

The "Lawn Game" takes so much time and effort, for such modest reward. So I sold almost everything and cashed out and moved to where I could afford to buy a house, out of South Florida.
    I have a full time job making good money, with awsome bennies.
    Working in the a/c all night long is good for meee self, and mee body.
    I'm currently working on a high risk high reward venture at the moment, I figure if I'm gonna try to make my own money, i'm gonna do it on a million dollar scale.

I do not regret those 6 years in "The Game" at all. "The Game" was good to mee, it took a young boy and shaped him into a man. "The Game" tought me very important skills in life and in bisinuss that no one around me in my work place even comes close to having. I'm rapidly moving up into different levels of management. The 6 years I spent in "The Game" is equivelant to a Masters Degree in many different areas of study.

I miss those beautiful mornings cutting grass, listening to music and nothing in the air but fresh cut St. Augustine. I still find myself checking out other LCO's rigs when I pass them on the road.
    I still get excited every other Saturday when my lawn needs cutting, and get to relive my days as an LCO.

P.S.Whatever happend to the Legendary B.G.
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't get it....

but I'm happy you're happy. Make a million.
  3. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i do get it. after 3 years, i do still enjoy lawn care and landscaping. i love trucks, diesel trucks. and the equipment. but the money isn't often there (unless you're ETW or some of the elites). at some point i will sell my business and move onto something else. for now, this fits me and i'm happy with it. i enjoy making properties look good through mowing, or mulching/edging, or even planting, etc. but i do know that i don't want to be killing myself when i'm 40 with no benefits.
  4. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I'd don't know....I've been working from home for the last six years, at my desk, in a nice air conditioned environment. I wake up when I want....start work when I want....and stop when I want. And I make good money.

And then what? Money is not everything....trust me. For me its more about getting outside right now....out of the air conditioned house...and seeing if I can actually turn this something. Maybe I won't....but it sure won't be for the lack of effort or trying.

I think you get out of it what you put into it...just like anything else. Its all in your "perspective." You want to get into the air conditioning...and I want to get out of it. Its your out take on the "now." Nothing wrong with putting money away, having benefits, and all that jazz but don't think for a second that just because you work for somebody else that those benefits are guaranteed.

And besides....working for someone else is not the same as working for yourself. When you work for someone else they do not benefit by increasing your pay, giving you added benefits, or adding to your health care plan. They more they pay you....the less the overall company profits. The overall plan of any company is to get more work out of you for equal or lesser pay.....NOT MORE.
  5. caryra30

caryra30 LawnSite Member

Leindeni, is spot on. I do LC part time with the goal of full time. I do not see a future working for someone else. I have been at the same 50 hour/week job for 13 years and I want out. Working for myself I fell accomplishment and pride in the work I do. My full time job creates nothing but unneeded stress. When I am old and gray sitting in my rocking chair I am not going to think out if I made service quality numbers, but I will think about that morning when the sun was coming up while I was mowing and how awesome it all was. Plus and minuses to both, but I want out of the corporate game.
  6. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Josh glad everything has worked out in your favor good luck with all your future plans.
  7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I was just like you, and in most ways I still am. I believe in working for myself and always will, its called the "self employment disease" and I suffer from it severly.

But my point in all this is that the lawn game is a "Trap". If your gonna try making money for yourself, do something outside the BOX. Something with serious revenue potential, not nickel and dime. That is what I truly believe.

But if cutting grass makes you happy then by all means go for it.
  8. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

yes, i'm only happy when i'm self employed...doesn't mean that i can't be in the air conditioning and self employed.

..but then there are 60* days where i'm making great money and am happy to be outside. i dunno. i have found the older i get, the less i know :hammerhead::laugh:
  9. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Hey King, I worked for a LCO for 6 years then left and worked in an office. Money and hours were great, but I found myself urning to get back at it. I gave it all up and started my own gig, and love it more now than ever. I sometimes wonder where I would be now if I wern't doing this.

Glad to hear you made the right choice.

O'yea my wife is a teacher so the benefits are GREAT.

10. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I still do other business at home as well so I guess I somewhat have the best of both word and two incomes coming in....actually three if you count my wifes. Maybe if mowing was my fulltime job and I knew more about it....than I might be able to comment more on the topic and know what I was talking about.

Right now I am enjoying it. Maybe in five years....I'll be burnt out from the customer B/S. Who knows. I think each person should do what makes them happy....nothing wrong with that. If everybody was happy mowing lawns than there would be about 350 million Americans doing it. Thankfully each person has their own interest....and that is the way it should be.