I'm glad this did'nt turn out to be a catastrophe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Nov 4, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I check everything on my hitch each morning before I leave real good. During the day I glance @ it when I get back in my truck agter each prop. Today I was walking out of home cheapo toward my rig and noticed my trailer was sitting real low in the front, low and behold heres the problem. I'm glad it did'nt break the rest of the way off on the road. I probaly caught it just in time. So hey guys I'm sure everyone checks there hitches as well as I do,but for now on I'll also be climbing under and checking welds too!!! How about you?

lslsls333 001.jpg

lslsls333 007.jpg

lslsls333 008.jpg

lslsls333 009.jpg

lslsls333 011.jpg

2. smcunningham

You know what I'll be doing in the morning

lslsls333 004.jpg

lslsls333 005.jpg

3. smcunningham

Oh yeah I had to have my wife come to home cheapo to stay with my trailer. I had to go and get my other truck to pull trailer back to the shop

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to say that the hitch you had looked a little week. I don't think I ould ever try and tow something with a hitch like that. But saw that you are now going to put a real hitch on.

5. smcunningham

It does look awful weak and proved to be awful week...the more and more I look at it almost looks home-made...I bought the truck off my brother and it had the hitch on it when I got it, I'll have to ask him about it.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

looks like you've got an exhaust hanger about to go too.

7. smcunningham

Yeah I noticed that a month ago and bought a new hanger, thanks for reminding I'll swap that out while I'm under there.

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as he doesn't back into something with the pipe. I think it has atleast another year on it.

9. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

"It does look awful weak and proved to be awful week"

Are you kidding me? You're week was worth celebrating. You didn't kill yourself or anyone else with your trailer. You saw it before it was disasterous. You are extremely fortunate.

I know you were going for the play on words, though. :)

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Earlier in my LCO career, I had a '99 F-150 I bought used from a dealer. Good truck. One day I got caught at a stoplight where you know it turns yellow at just the wrong time so I have to get on the brakes pretty hard. As soon as I hit the brakes, bam! I'm thinking "what was that"?! I finally pull into a gas station and look to find my frame broke where the hitch was mounted. The spare tire was the only thing that kept the hitch from breaking completely off and causing the trailer to roll under the truck. I mount the ball to the bumper and take it home.

After the dealer looked it over, they repaired and replaced everything for free. Whoever had the truck before me put a universal hitch on the thing and that caused too much stress on the frame. It could have been a lot uglier.:dizzy: