1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm going for it... Need some planning help.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JROD, Feb 1, 2005.

1. JROD

JROD LawnSite Member

Well I have decieded that I'm going to open a small landscaping business. I'm a college student and have been considering of majoring in landscape design or landscape architecture but want to make sure this is a field I would like to go into. I have mowed and done small landscaping work in the past, I hate mowing but kind of liked the landscaping part.

Here is my question. I'm trying to work up a plan of what to offer this season. I do not want to get into huge jobs but am thinking of things such as:
    Ponds - Walkways - Raised Beds - Gardens - Aeration - Mulching - Pruning/Trimming, etc.

What are some other smaller jobs which have a high profit margin?

Also, I'm not sure what equiptment to start out with. So far I have been thinking of buying a mantis tiller. Regarding the Mantis Tiller, is garden cleaning/tilling and covering with mulch a high profit area?

I'm assuming i'll need some good shovels, pruners, saws, and other tools. What should I look for and what brands are good?

Thanks much!
  2. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

Ponds are a pretty big job but are profitable, as far as the Mantis goes I bought one and use it more than I thought I would. In Oklahoma we have heavy clay soil so it is limited to exsisting beds, and a few other jobs and from driving through New Mexico I am sure you have pretty tough soil. I use it alot to mix new soil and ammendments and to prep for fall/spring color.

If you know a builder you may hit them up, typically not a big custom home but someone that is putting in smaller tract home they like to keep the cost low and go pretty fast.

Good Luck
  3. JROD

JROD LawnSite Member

Good deal. Yes, the soil is very tough here in New Mexico. I figured that could be a problem with the mantis. I will probably check to see the demand before getting into rototilling.

That is a good idea for checking with contractors. The town I live in is growing fast and there are new houses popping up everywhere.
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

take a look at your local codes as far as the dollar amount you can charge the customer before you need a contractors license.

renovating older landscapes have a very high profit margin. you take out the old mature plants, and sell them to some person who has a lot of $$$ and is moving in to a new house. then charge the person you are renovating the landscape for, for new plants.
  5. JROD

JROD LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.
    I have talked to some of the other local landscapers and they have told me what to do as far as getting the licenses and such.

Here is another question I have. This will pretty much be my 1st year doing landscaping work. What are some easy jobs to do? I don't want to get into something I can't handle.

I am mainly trying to earn enough money to put me through college, so any help will be beneficial.

Thanks again,