1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm gonna have to pass on this one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yesterday got a call from a guy said his lawn service had not mowed him in 2 weeks can I come look at it, Sure I'll be there soon. I get there and the front looks pretty bad but manageable. The back is a disaster abandoned pipes,debris, fences falling into the yard, 3 different levels, about 2 months worth of weeds, rocks everywhere. I walked it and kept thinking this is gonna be hard so the final straw was when something jumped out of the pool which was dark green and I stepped on a bundle of 10 gauge wire in the 4 ft high weeds. Went back and told him I'm gonna have to pass on this one Good luck. I didn't get a warm fuzzy about getting paid on this one either. I know get payment upfront run to the bank and cash the check but ya know if I have to do that I don't want to work for them.
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Don't blame you
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

10 gauge wire? Color me gone...
  4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Had a similar experience recently.... guy accross from an account comes over,..... how much to get it knocked down? He'd been away, kids broke mower so it didnt get cut for like a month + in the spring ... ouch......... started to walk the prop..... went around the corner with him and there's a pile of used bricks (approx 8 ft accross, 6 ft high!) that his wife bought "To build a walk"

Told him...... "Can't and won't do it..... machines are too valuable to break them here........ unless you'd like me to do it all with the string trimmer.... at $80.00/hr......." He actualy said he understood, and thanked me for my time.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Just finished another one. 40'x40' removed 2 small trees a bunch of grape vines, a dozen burdocks and run the old lawnboy over all the weeds. 2 1/2 hrs for the wife and me $225 and a neighbour came over and siad if we could make that place look that good could we give her a price on spraying her lawn? Nice easy lawn $125 and gave her business cards to give to her friends. These are small lots and all close together so we'll likely get a couple more. We usually wait a few days then call them to say we are coming and they have a few friends for us to quote or do.
    We don't turn down jobs like this, they are great stress relievers. ;)
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't usually even bother with stuff like that.