1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Im gonna stick a needle in my eye....

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, May 2, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

...and its only May 2nd.

Here's my deal. My keeps-me-awake-nights account is taking minutes off my life again. New construction of course with many many issues.

When I got it virtually nothing was growing at all and the owners were in an endless cycle of watching recently laid sod die. Soil test told me the OM was < 3%, Mg was off the charts, and ph was 7.2 which is pretty high for our N. IL clay. I aerated and top dressed at the end of the season last year so what grass there is actually grows now. Haven't done a new soil test this season but then again I don't really want to be testing this account every six months.

The other nightmare new construction job two doors down is a dandelion factory and my account is still full of dandies.

I badly want to lay down some calcium but the high pH is scaring me off.
    That and the complete lack of municipal drainage and massive ponding issues.

If you were laying awake at night thinking about this one what would YOU do?
  2. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

I have that problem some times if I get really focused on something it hard to just stop when you lay your little head on the pillow. I have to make a decision that sleep is more important and focus on nothing really hard.
  3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am the worlds worst and thinking to much. If its not an estimate or account its what I can do to enhance the business. I just tell myself to relax and not think about anything to do with the business. Cutting my own lawn helps me to relax. I plan on turning my phone off tomorrow, cut my lawn, put down some mulch, enjoy my day off. I can't wait!
  4. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

day off.........................

one day soon.

do what you can, can what you do.

When I cannot sleep I get up and try to put down on paper or Microsoft word, whatever seems to be the brain spinner. After an hour or two or three of pounding it out, everything is fine and I am definitely ready for the sack. Tired in the morn but glad I worked out what needed to be sifted.

Great minds that have done great things did not necessarily do their most productive work or thinking during the day. When it is time to work on something, as entrepreneurs of this great movement, we must shun the 9-5 mentality and allow our creative juices to flow when they overwhelm us. If we sleep an hour longer in the morning, or get up any way and push it, so be it. We have that choice.

All needs balance though..........
  5. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Amen to that. Most of my good ideas and research come later in the evening. Unfortunately, my wife does not see it the same way.
  6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

You bet ya I'm taking a day off. I got a new born at home and hopefully a wife. I am going to force myself to take a day off and it is going to be sooo nice.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What, you mean you actually sleep.....what is that?
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Have a beer and visualise what the roots are going trough in that yard. Keep having beers until an idea comes to you. Dream of something pleasant tonite and act on your idea tomorrow. Then you are free to move on.

The biggest and most common problem with clay is: over watering and no perculation. Dandys will penetrate that soil no problem.
  9. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

spot treat w/ some 3 way
    That will make you sleep nice and cozy. But really, this is now why I prefer using a bridge program compared to a straight organic one. I am not putting out cgm 20 times a year at the tremendous cost sub in dimension or barricade and after that 1 or 2 shots of earthworks 5-4-5 and I can spot treat weeds. Best of both worlds.
  10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

sleepless , screen worms, welding, HEAVY METAL, or go for a ride on the busa, there is a list on the shop wall, "needs" is the first page, the second page is "wants".there is always a thing or two to be done. if it is causing you to lose sleep, get to it first. try some milk or rum, it helps me sleep, this mattress is starting to get these odd square lumps........ that reminds me got to get to the...........

maybe try drinking some three way, a dirt nap is............