I'm i crazy or what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Sep 10, 2000.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I have this lawn in downtown Sacratamoto that has oh 1400 SQ FT of lawn and 200 SQ FT of Garden (Roses, shrubs and the like) the lady that owns it is about 90 years old i service it twice a month. Now here is the crazy part i do it for $30.00 i kinda felt sorry for the old lady cuz the guy she had didn’t do anything and the place looked like CRAP!! Any one else do this?
  2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'll give some old folks a break (not free) if it seems as if they're not trying to scam me. If I give them a break and find out I've been had, they're gone. I always try to be fair with them, because I think they get taken a lot and I want God to remember me when I get old. :)
  3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Yes i have one older person i take full care of the lawn.I dont mind doing a few extras for them as long as its lawn related and not every time i go there.
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

$30 for 1400 square feet? Am I missing something?

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Well to each his own , but if you want to lemon aid out of lemons i an sure if you go and drop $150. for a really nice yard sign you could get some bizz of of it.esspecily if the yard looks right and has a lot of passers by, just a thought.
  6. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Not all seniors are dirt poor. I know of many that lived a life of poverty, then left $xxx,xxx.xx to their heirs.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Its ok to give some extra service. But don't go overboard! 5 or 10 minutes would be my limit.
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I also agree with Bob 5-10 minutes wont hurt and those sr citizens go to church, bingo and have sometimes nothing to do but talk, see where this leads word of the mouth is sometimes the best advertising. SPEND the 5-10.
  9. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Actuly i spend about 2.5 man hours there a month

10. Firebrand

Firebrand Banned

I've had a really good customer that is a widowed old lady. She has been real great up until two weeks ago. I did lot's of extras the biggest being not charging her about $10 more per mow which was what her lawn was worth. The other day she called me saying how I was ruining her lawn (after 2.5 seasons) because my WB was scuffing her lawn when I turned. When I told her that I could mow with the 21 (which I totally didn't want to), but it would $25 she got all angry and fired me. I had been nothing but polite and couerteous to her. Then she accused me of leaving her in the lurch and could I do it one more week. I was glad to be done with her after that. LOL.