I'm I too big for her...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rross, Nov 12, 2002.

1. rross

rross LawnSite Member

I am thinking of running a 61" Husqvarna in to 1/4 acre lots next season,,, do I go for it, or should I invest in a small walk behind or rider 36-48 to cut it..Suggestions anyone???
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on if there are obsticles in these 1/4 acre yards you'll be mowing.
  3. rross

rross LawnSite Member

oh, thanks green ...yea of course, trees and such ...but mostly just worried about what the customers thinks of the lawns and that size of tractor...
  4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

if it isn't worth buying a new machine for just one yard then dont do it. Consentrate on properties that you can use your exsisting equipment on.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

You will be surpised I can put my 60" ztr, just about anyplace I can put my 48" hydro W/B. Almost to the point of selling the 48". But have a few gated backyards:(
  6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think a 61" is to big i know i cant stripe a small yard with obstcals with my 52'er. Just my opinon:)
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

About 2/3's through the season you are going to have parts of the lawn looking pretty bad from turning that big monster around. On properties that small it becomes very difficult to really mix up and change mowing directions and/or the areas you constantly need to turn around at. As good as you may think you are, or others on this site, the repetitous driving over areas between landscape beds, trees, and whatever else may be in your way, are going to take a pounding week after week. That is exactly why I bought a 48" walkbehind to add to my 60" Z. I haven't gotten any complaints yet, but I wanted to nip it in the butt before I did. An 1100 pound machine driving over the same exact tracks week after week will snub out some growth and begin to thin the lawn in those areas.

As I have read in the trade magazines "you can kill a fly with a sledge hammer, but is it really the best tool for the job"?
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree on that saying :D

1/4 of an acre seems very small for such a big machine. Sure you'd knock one out in a swipe or two. But geezzz!!! I'd think your customers might even resent the fact you charge what you do and get done so quick! I'd be worried about that if any of your clients are around when you cut.

seems like lot of overkill. Once you got out on those lawns with that big monster you may regret the purchase. They are very nice machines though and boy do they have some trim on the deck!!! I saw one of the EFI models $7,800 I think. Seems steep!
  9. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I mow 1/5 - 1/3 acres all day long (and some larger commercial) with a 52" Stander ... can fit into about 60% of the back yards too with it.