1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm in love

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Well guys, I finally met somebody today who has changed my life. His name is Al, he introduced me today to the Aeravator. At 8:30 today we met up at a customer's house. I had tried aerating this lawn with a 28" Ryan core aerator last year. Got those nice 1/2" plugs, when the machine was bouncing off the lawn. Even after plenty of rain. I remember just the front lawn took me a couple of hours to do. The front lawn is about 5M sq ft. One nice big level spot, but both sides are hills. Well Al got the machine off the trailer today, (14' dovetail) we talked about the machine, the aeravator, trailer, and golf courses. We finally got the machine onto the lawn after all that talking. He turned the PTO on the tractor on. (855 JD tractor pulling the 60" aeravator) I walked behind the machine checking out the performance. I immediatley noticed that a lot of macropores had been added to the soil. I stuck my finger into a punched hole, my whole finger went in there :eek: I ran the machine over the lawn for a bit. Some spots got hit like 6 times due to turning. Other spots got hit 2 times. The spots that were done 6 times looked like they had been a part of a prison rape gone wrong :( all full of holes. This was a MASSIVE difference from aeration with that 28" Ryan. I believe it took us, with BS'ing about 45 minutes to go over the area, 2 times. Before I ran the yard over I put down some grass seed. Al and I got to talking, and he said they want to sell the tractor they were pulling the aeravator with. They want just under 10K for the tractor w/ 2100 hours on it, and a 2 year old aeravator. The aeravator before tax over here is like 6K and the tractor is 4x4 diesel, no loader. I am in love.. Well here is the thing. The dealer is about 100 miles away. Dealer is Turf Products? The guy lives by me though, they come pick the machine up if it breaks, if I need parts; UPS. Also, only people who have these machines by me is the golf courses and a few parks depts. I will be the only LCO in my county and a few others that has an aeravator. Al told me the best way to advertise this service is to talk with other landscapers, show them first and then sub. How does one advertise to other landscapers? Or to homeowners for aeravation? Also, I am thinking about $25 or $30 per thousand Sq Ft for just aeravation, and somewhere around $50 - $60 for aeravation / seeding per thousand Sq. Ft.
    Also today when I was done aeravating, I put down some more seed, some starter fertilizer, and some gypsum.

I will testify to anybody who does not believe in the Aeravator.

Now hows about some help here with advertising and pricing?
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I hope that you two endure a long lasting and meaningful relationship!!! :laugh:

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Your going to kill that thing on the average lawn,it is meant for golf courses,and athletic fields,where the turf is ,top dressed,soft,and free from rocks and roots.Figure in the high maintance costs into your bidding.Your going to be breaking lots of tines,and sheer pins.Get a parts list,I know parts are big$.
  4. kutnkru

In all seriousness to LB82s post, do you think that even during the wet season that it would still not be cost effective to operate one of these machines. Im primarily talking in the month of April before the May temps hit and after the ground starts to hold the weight of equipment after the mid March thaws???

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Matt, Im throuroughly confused! I thoguht you are no longer in the landscaping busniess? What do you need a machine for? You said you met at a customers house. I thought you gave away your few customers you had since you went to college? I am interetsed to see what a Established lawn looks like after aeravating. I have seem some picture i beleave kirby posted of bare dirst aeravated. Looks like a pretty violent process for turf.
  6. Kris, thanx. LOL. I was tryin to make a joke there. This guy Al and I got along pretty well though. John, do you have one at your course? It sounds as though you speak from experience here. In doing this lawn today, we hit maybe 3 larger rocks. Those are at least the ones that did some damage to the lawn. I see your point about how it does do some damage. The rear roller tore up some small patches. Do you know offhand how much it costs to replace all the spikes? Also, where are the shear pins? Only place I would think they would be is by the PTO shaft thingy.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

if the turf is rocky,or rooted,it wont be cost effective at all,he would be much better off with a drum type ,I use a ryan 6 ft ,it weighs 1050 lbs,and it works well.You really need to see how much tines,sheer pins,and the cam/arms cost before you decide,these thing beat themselves to death,and cost $$ per hour to operate,in good turf,couldnt imagine how much in bad soil conditions.Most golf course roughs are better than the average lawn,and no superintendent would put that thing in the rough,they would use the cheap roller type we use on home lawns,it doesnt require much maintance,and broken tines are $4 a piece and your on your way.
  8. Didn't see you there Evan, sorry. This guy, I no longer cut the grass for him. But this guy has the worst soil out of everybody I could think of. I called him up and asked him if I could try the machine out, he said I could do whatever I wanted to basically. I want to get the machine, because from what some of you guys say they really work well. Nobody in my area has them from what I have found out. So why not make a niche for myself? With homeowners and LCO's alike. John, each spike is $2.60 Again though, where are these shear pins? Have you ever tried one before out on your course?
  9. kutnkru

Thxs. Missed the part about the terrains conditions. TY for the info about the roughs though. :)

I have been wondering ,,, When you threw the stick at the monkey did he scream???

10. Kris, I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I forgot to ask the monkey before I left the zoo.