I'm in the mood to fire some customers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Jul 6, 2005.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I just canned two customers and almost felt bad about it. There are a few more on the chopping block. I love culling the herd! As I get new customers that are at the same stop as other customers I get rid of the least lucrative/most annoying accounts and tighten the route like a noose around their PITA/Cheap ass ways and say "see ya never". Really I just wrote a nice and appreciative cancellation letter I'll leave tomorrow. I do feel bad about one lady who's been a customer for at least 10 years, but she's now super old (90's) and the annoying neighbor who takes it upon herself now does the shrubs, says no weed control or fert, etc. so bye bye to them both. They used to be full service accounts that are mow only now and homey don't play dat. Now I got 1 new acct today next to another one that will bring in more per season than both of the fired suckas together (with 1/4 the amount of property to maintain...sweet). I feel like Darwin-naturally selecting my sheep! Who else loves to fire customers. Fire, fire, fire :angry: :angry: :angry: makes me :)
  2. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have a few that I would like to drop. They have some type of problem every time I mow! Every time! Had one that said I had told her that I would water her shrubs when she took a trip to Boston. I did tell her that in the spring. So at the end of June she goes to Boston. Comes back and gets mad at me for not doing it. Of course she never told me when she was going. Didn't even know she was away. How would I ever know? What do people think?
    Right now I need every customer so I quess I have to just take it.
  3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Let her be the first to go next spring then! If you know you are going to get rid of her it will make every time you go there much easier. One false move by her and BAM, goodbye.
  4. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

HAHA! That's how I felt when I worked at a outdoors store. I was about to quit, so I just went to work, talked with costumers, and picked my nose. Didn't do anything! It took them 2 weeks to fire me. That's a free $900. haha :rolleyes:

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

you wouldnt have won on that new show called Fire Me..... you are supposed to get fired before 3 pm on same day that you go to work lol
  6. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

haha. if i was on a game show. i would just show up drunk, yelling absurd words at people.
  7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Lawnguy, I just don't agree......90 yr old lady, customer for 10 yrs......

I'd keep doing her lawn for free if needed.

Just my opinion.
  8. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Yeah, me too. Poor lady. :(

I surely wouldn't get pleasure from it. Some jerk-off will come by and probably take her medicane money.
  9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I have one ole lady that I'd like to drop as well. But right now with all the dry lawns, I need every cut I can squeeze.

2 weeks ago she blamed me for some brown streaks on her lawn, said I burnt it with fert. I haven't ferilized this lawn, Says she paid me for it. I have no records of charging her for it (and I know I didn't apply fert anyways).
    Also says she paid me for overseeding her lawn. I haven't overseeded her lawn. I had suggested fert & overseeding in the spring but she said not yet.
    She blames me for all the bentgrass in her lawn. Says it's because I don't bag the clippings.
    Says I haven't been doing a good job of trimming. Where I asked? Under the raspberries she says. Sheesh. What next.
    She says that I've been overcharging her. I've been collecting $36 per cut all this year. She says I've charged $45 but can't find her records. Why would I have charged $5 and now dropped it to $36 ????
    When she last paid me, I said $36 please and she handed me 3 $20's. When I told her that was too much, she looked at me strangely.
    Alzheimers, ya think?
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I dropped four in the last two weeks, first time ever. Two were idiotic, chaotic yards that knocked my hat & glasses off, drew blood, and had a high degree of difficulty. Needed eyes in the back of my head. As the obstacles grew bigger leaving less clearance and the limbs hung lower and lower, vision was reduced and I almost ran through a gas pipe. Neither would have paid to prune or hedge. I decided then and there that that was the end of it for that one and for one similar to it.

Two others kept badgering me to do more and more for free.

I don't feel particularly good about it, but it is a relief not to have to go to the two yards that were chaos, and not to have to deal with the other two people. I don't regret dropping them.

It was getting to where I couldn't hardly make myself go to these accounts. Even the truck was resisting making the turnoffs.