I'm in trouble....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, May 19, 2006.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Hey guys,

I get two calls from clients last night complaining about the way my new employee has trimmed their yards. I go over and look and HOLY CRAP!!! He has scalped the lawn along all the fences on one yard and along the entire length of the side walk on the second.

I worked with my guy for two weeks on every yard to train him and he never trimmed like this before. I went and looked at the other yards he's cut in the last two days and they look fine. I think it may be a misunderstanding of my instructions...I told him to "be careful trimming and do a really good job"....he sure did do a good job trimming....no grass left!! I've had a talk with him and he knows what he did and that he'll be more careful...it's just odd that it is only on 2 yards.

I talked to my clients and told them there is no charge for the screw-up and that I will personally be cutting their yards. I just don't get it....how can only 2 yards out of 40 be so screwed up? What would you guys do?

2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i would have to say that if he worked alone, he brought one of his buddies with him to help ... well you may have trained him but not his buddy!!! just took your worker two lawns to figure out that his buddy messed up!!!

3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Does he understand engrish?

4. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

fulano,

he's a good Canadian kid (former student) and from when I worked with him, really reliable and mechanically inclined. Judging by all the other work (except for those two lawns) everythink is going well. I'll cut him a break this time but I hope it doesn't end up costing me the accounts.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

maybe he should pay you for those 2.....

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

He was probably in a big hurry trying to get done.I know its no excuse but like you said why only 2 lawns.

7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Were they his first 2 lawns of the day???

kc

8. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

remember it will grow back, people make mistakes. It can't be prefect evertime, things happen!

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I had a employee one time who did a great job when he was with me. So I let him work by himself for a few days while I went out of town. That mistake cost me 3500$ and more than a few disturbed customers. I would never have guessed he could have been such a screw up. I think he just stayed more focused when I was around.

10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If he is generally a good employee like you seem to indicate, I would just do what you can and then let it go. You already talked to him and apologised to the clients.

A good employee is worth much more than 2 accounts. Personally, I have lost customers because of work done by my employees, but when I think of the other 99% of customers who were satisfied with the work, I ain't firing nobody.