1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'm just gettin started...I wanna to get serious!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sailorslawncare, Oct 12, 2007.

1. sailorslawncare

sailorslawncare LawnSite Member

Let me fill you in:

About two weeks ago my wife and I were talking about how we could us some extra money (..as most people could) and thought it might be a good idea to see if I could mow a few yards in our neighborhood for some quick cash. I got some flyer's and business cards made and I set out, leaving flyer's and cards in several sub divisions in our area. Within two weeks I have made a little over $400 out of 7 different calls. "I like this!" They were all a little different, one just wanted hedges done, one had literally 2 and a half tons of rocks and brush for me to haul to the land fill and the others were just mow/weed eat/edge jobs that will probably be bi-week jobs. I'm not sure but it seems like I'm doing ok for only two weeks and some cheap advertising? I re-invested the money in a gas hedge trimmer and chainsaw (from a pawn shop) and 2 double sided signs and car door magnets with my logo and phone number. My question is: What equipment and advertising do I need to progress in the residential and maybe (small) commercial accounts?

I would like to have a solid 10 accounts to do each week... Is this to much for what equipment I have now and how much and what kind of advertising should I use???? I've got $3,000 to $4000 to work with, help me please!!!

Here is what I'm workin with now: "now don't laugh all you big timers, you gotta start somewhere!"

-21" Troy-Bilt 190cc 675series Mower

-31cc Troy-Bilt TB70SS Trimmer

-25cc Weed Eater Blower

-19"/25cc Craftsman Hedge Trimmer

-rake, shovel, 30' ladder and lots of tools!
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to sound to hard on ya, but if you were to have 10 weekly accts by tomorrow, the current equipment you have wouldn't hold a glass of water. Consider used commercial equip, dont worry about years or hrs. You're just getting started. It may need tuneups, carb adjustments, things of that nature, but it will hold over much better until you grow more. Best advertising is word of mouth but only from your elite customers. Lettering/signage/magnets on your truck help as well. Just keep advertising... all the time, you will grow bit by bit each year.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

a business license, business insurance, a vendors license...........a dba, a company bank account.. at this point your not in business.......check with your local and state government to see what you need, otherwise your just another lowballer.......
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

One other note, if someone asked me to haul away 2.5 tons of rocks and brush, I would CERTAINLY charge more then what your total was for the two weeks of work that you did. Just a tip... raise your prices or the customers will stomp you in the ground with hard labor and little pay.